• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinnest NFL Draft In Living Memory

TheSpecialJuan

Another way to judge the depth of the draft class is by looking at the size of an NFL team’s “backboard,” a ranking of undrafted free agent–type prospects. Most teams have a front board for players they consider worth a draft pick, and a backboard for the others. I asked scouts and personnel execs around the league how the size of the latter group compares to previous years and most report it’s noticeably smaller. One veteran scout said his team’s backboard is down by about 20 percent, and that his team is having conversations about 150 fewer players this year. Another team’s personnel exec said he’d estimate their backboard at 20–30 percent smaller than in a normal year

Martez Ivey, Micah Simon, J.T. Ibe, Jalen Julius, Mikey Daniel, Darius Clark, Matt Ammendola this is the main reason these 2019 and 2020 UDFA were signed.

There is a good chance our scouting department had them rated higher than many of the possible UDFA pool in this years draft. 

19 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Martez Ivey, Micah Simon, J.T. Ibe, Jalen Julius, Mikey Daniel, Darius Clark, Matt Ammendola this is the main reason these 2019 and 2020 UDFA were signed.

There is a good chance our scouting department had them rated higher than many of the possible UDFA pool in this years draft. 

I thought the pool would be bigger, the UDFA pool I mean, but it looks like that will be wrong. 

I also seen where the nfl is only allowing 5 try outs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-allow-only-five-tryout-230710567.html

I dont know if thats each week/month or the raw cap.

Its a whole new world.....

On 4/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Only 250-something are going to be drafted, so it really doesn't matter how many UDFA-types got agent representation.  Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason why we are not leaving so many openings for UDFAs this year.  We hit on our draftable players and the handful of camp bodies we sign after the draft will be just that...camp bodies.  Honestly, we keep 1-2 of these guys a year as cusp roster guys.  Not that big of a deal that we are only bringing in about half the number we normally would this year.

I know Marty Hurney is heart-broken he doesn't have nearly 2,000 diamond-in-the-rough guys to pick from this year.   With the numbers so low, maybe he actually finds that hidden gem.  Eh, that's Washington's problem now.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 1