• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stanley Cup Playoffs Round One: Predators Vs. Hurricanes Series Thread

Harbingers

36 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

My Biggest suggestion would be that they not have to kill 9 penalties ( they are mostly the same units) 

Besides the Aho call and maybe the Staal interference all of them were warranted. I think maybe one on night one I’d dispute. Though Nashville was playing to draw penalties. They had a clear too many men on the ice that wasn’t called as well yesterday. Not sure how you adjust that. If “Smashville” actually played physical yesterday almost none of our penalties would have been called but they set the bar way lower and the refs were happy to oblige. 

15 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Besides the Aho call and maybe the Staal interference all of them were warranted. I think maybe one on night one I’d dispute. Though Nashville was playing to draw penalties. They had a clear too many men on the ice that wasn’t called as well yesterday. Not sure how you adjust that. If “Smashville” actually played physical yesterday almost none of our penalties would have been called but they set the bar way lower and the refs were happy to oblige. 

True, I agree with that, I guess my general train of thought was our special teams were gassed from a ton of high energy PKs and it showed especially on the PP.

• Pie 1

I watched the Tampa Bay-Florida game last night. 10 of the 11 goals scored in that game were at the same end of the ice. TB scored all 5 in the 2nd, Florida changed goalies and stormed back in OT, with the OT game-winner scored by the only guy on the Panthers roster who didn't take a shot during regulation.

Also watched Montreal-Toronto. That inadvertent hit on Tavares was brutal- off on a stretcher. Then Foligno decided he was going to fight Corey Perry, even though Perry had given Tavares the tap as he was going off the ice and apologized. It wasn't a malicious hit, just 2 guys colliding.

Here's to Carolina stealing one in Nashville. Look, if Nashville were to just go out and play hockey, they get trounced because they simply cannot generate the offense to beat the Canes. They have no alternative but to try to create power plays and draw Carolina into a street fight. 

• Pie 1

There are 2 teams I do not want to see in the playoffs, and they're playing each other right now- Washington and Boston. Both teams are stacked with players I would label as dirty and, because they're veterans, won't catch a penalty against anyone else. Marchand takes cheap shots when he thinks the refs aren't looking and Wilson will hurt anyone he can.

• Pie 1

No Slavo or Gardiner. Dunno if Gardiner is a healthy scratch. Apparently this Max Lajorie guy was a huge PKer for the wolves this season. That said he was -25 in his one season with Ottawa. And is combined like -60 we’ll have to see about this guy...

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

If the Canes can win one of the next 2, Slavin can take the rest of the series off and hopefully be ready for the next round.

LaJoie a -25 in one season? Sheesh.... but I, for one, am not a big fan of this stat as it really doesn't take into account a lot of "what if's."

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

If the Canes can win one of the next 2, Slavin can take the rest of the series off and hopefully be ready for the next round.

LaJoie a -25 in one season? Sheesh.... but I, for one, am not a big fan of this stat as it really doesn't take into account a lot of "what if's."

Ya I’m split between two camps. Either hope Slavin can play tonight and like you said take the rest of the series off, or hopefully win without him tonight have him on Sunday to try and sweep this thing in that scenario. 

Ya I don’t put much stock in it either cause it doesn’t represent the player as much as the whole team. It’s just slightly concerning almost every season he’s pretty far in the negative. Especially due to the fact it sounds like we are playing him over Gardiner in case we end up in the box a half dozen more times tonight. its gotta be tough coming in on the leagues best penalty kill flat and trying not to make a mistake: