• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen reveals ‘mixed feelings’ over Terrace Marshall Jr. wearing 88

SBBlue

On 6/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, SBBlue said:

Carolina Panthers: Greg Olsen's 'mixed feelings' over number giveaway (catcrave.com)

“You know I’ll be honest, I had mixed feelings about it. Donnie (Toner) in the (Panthers’) equipment room texted me and kind of gave me a heads up. My whole thing was I didn’t want the kid to feel any pressure from me. That was his number (Marshall wore 88 in college). That’s what he wanted. I’ve heard he’s a great kid. I don’t have any animosity. I’m glad he’s going to wear it and hopefully, he’s a great player. I have no ill will.”

I'm not sure how the Panthers allow the number to be worn. Greg is probably number 2 or 3 on the list of players who deserve to have their numbers retired ASAP.

12 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

I'm not sure how the Panthers allow the number to be worn. Greg is probably number 2 or 3 on the list of players who deserve to have their numbers retired ASAP.

2 or 3?? You're telling me that out of Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, Cam Newton, Luke Keuchly, and Thomas Davis that Greg Olsen deserves it more than 3 or 4 of those guys? And besides, the whole retiring numbers thing is a dumb concept, especially as it gets played out over a long period of time. Just look at the Yankees whose numbers basically start in the 30s because so many numbers have been retired and can't be used. Honor the person and their achievements, not the number.

• Beer 1

On 7/2/2021 at 9:02 AM, travisura said:

2 or 3?? You're telling me that out of Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, Cam Newton, Luke Keuchly, and Thomas Davis that Greg Olsen deserves it more than 3 or 4 of those guys? And besides, the whole retiring numbers thing is a dumb concept, especially as it gets played out over a long period of time. Just look at the Yankees whose numbers basically start in the 30s because so many numbers have been retired and can't be used. Honor the person and their achievements, not the number.

Some guys deserve to have numbers retired. Greg Olsen made and continues to make a huge impact not only on the Carolina Panthers but in the Charlotte area in general. As for his play on the field, he was the first tight end to have 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons, Super Bowl appearance, Pro Bowls, iron man, Man of the Year Finalist, etc. Etc.

If there was every a players jersey that deserved to be retired, that's it. I'd argue that Luke, Greg, and Cam are on another level of impact than Davis and Peppers. Steve Smith I'd say yes as well. 

Peppers and Davis are guys you honor.