• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

On 7/31/2021 at 1:46 PM, Mr. Scot said:

People are free to parade all the hot takes they want, and I'm equally free to call them out as incredibly stupid. 

The particularly dimwitted one in this case is the notion that not drafting Fields was a face saving move.

The team spent plenty of time inbetween the Darnold trade and the draft telling anyone who'd listen that having Darnold didn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. Yet we're to believe that same team isn't going to take one because it'd be embarrassing? 

I've seen more ignorant takes I suppose, but probably not many. 

They didn't draft him because they didn't want to. It's not that difficult.

Will it turn out to be the right decision? Don't know, but trying to attribute some goofy fan logic to it rather than just taking it at face value rather than just admitting you were wrong just looks even dumber. 

I am sticking with Rhule and company have managed the QB position poorly from day 1.     Feel free to view it otherwise.  

And I’m sticking with they know it too.  

On 7/31/2021 at 1:46 PM, Mr. Scot said:

The team spent plenty of time inbetween the Darnold trade and the draft telling anyone who'd listen that having Darnold didn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. Yet we're to believe that same team isn't going to take one because it'd be embarrassing? 

It's almost as if in addition to Covid, an even more baffling virus is spreading...a conspiracy virus. Everyone now believes conspiracy nonsense more than reason. Everyone seems to want to be one of the few with some "special insight." It would be comical were it not so widespread and frankly, dangerous.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I am sticking with Rhule and company have managed the QB position poorly from day 1.     Feel free to view it otherwise.  

And I’m sticking with they know it too.  

Let Cam walk and got nothing in return, who went on to play with another team for peanuts.  If you don't sign Teddy you can slow play the Cam situation, let him look for a trade which is more likely if we don't' have Teddy, if he doesn't find one he would probably play on his last year which would have been cheaper than what you paid Teddy.  Then when he signs with someone the following year you could potentially get a comp pick.

Paid $30m for Teddy to win 5 games and then released.  Who btw cost us a 3rd pick because of the comp formula.

In regards to Darnold, he is risky decision also, and I'm not talking from an ability standpoint, that has been covered at length around here, but more from a cap perspective.  If he plays bad you are on the hook for his 5th year you guaranteed.  If we plays decent you are looking at an extension very soon and QB extensions aren't cheap.  With a rookie QB you would have had 4 cheaper years to decide.  He might work out, he might not, my only point is its a very risky play that actually has a pretty short time table.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but going with Grier or letting Cam play on his last year of his deal was the right move at the time, and a lot of people around here were right about that, where as the people "who really understand football who get paid millions to decide" were wrong.