• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

"The thing about playing quarterback is when something goes wrong--like, when somebody misses a block--you gotta make it right. You know, like, every play is really on the quarterback position"

Don't be fooled, Matt Rhule is a coach with high standards and has a mindset about the way that things should go. In his presser, he said that it's not that he doesn't want Sam Darnold to be a leader, Rhule wants him to focus on being a QB. Rhule has said similar things in the past as he did in today's presser about how some QBs have been in the same system for years--a decade. He emphasized that Darnold has only been actively in this system for a few months. He is effectively viewing Darnold like a rookie in regards to how and what Sam needs to learn to lead this team on the field, but the quote above is the end goal. At some point, there will not be the excuse of a missed assignment from an O-lineman. Sam will have to master the position, notwithstanding the mistakes of of others, put the team on his back, and ultimately get the job done, as that is the end game. 

14:27

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Essentially, the message is that leadership earned by performance and reliability.   

I agree, he is approaching Darnold as if he is a rookie....and that is how he should approach him, IMO.  "Learn to do the job well first"  as opposed to "you already know how to do the job well now lead us to the promised land" which is I think the trap he may have been tangled in with New York.  I honestly think that is setting up almost any young QB or failure.

The advantage Darnold has is he has seen the speed and performance level of the game for a few years now so that should not be a surprise.  But, he did not see much of NFL-quality from his own side while with the Jest.

There is a nuance to the missed OL assignment comment.  The QB having to make that right has to be the exception, not the rule.  No QB will pull that rabbit out of the hat when they face that problem too often.  Not Montana, not Elway, not Brady.  The replays of the two Pats-Giants Suberb Owls or our own  effort against the Broncos shows what happens to even the best QBs in that situation.  No matter how it is sliced, the OL still has to be competent and limit the mistakes that make their way to the QB.

I think Rhule and staff understand that.  I don't think their predecessors ever quite figured that out.  Something like this a couple of years ago would have sounded like a preemptive excuse for poor OL play.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Rhule might be starting to get it. It's a QB driven league, period. You either have a QB who allows you to compete or you don't have a chance at winning championships. There is no gray area. Gray area is purgatory.

Hopefully Sam works out but I'd he doesn't, we're gonna swing BIG on our next QB.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I like what he says about speeches.  Lead by example (first on, last off).  Sam is not a speech maker (or orator, if you will) but he is the leader (or can be) as described.

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Jordan Belfort

You have a problem with speeches?  Sometimes, they serve an invaluable purpose....

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule might be starting to get it.

Lol yes the coach who’s been involved in football his entire life and risen of the pinnacle of his industry is FINALLY realizing that quarterback is important.

They were going to swing big on deshaun and people were crying at what they were going to have to give to get him

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

Lol yes the coach who’s been involved in football his entire life and risen of the pinnacle of his industry is FINALLY realizing that quarterback is important.

BIG difference between college and NFL in this regard. The much more even talent parity in the NFL compared to college puts a bigger influence on the QB position and play calling compared to college. The Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States, Oklahomas, etc. of college are  head and shoulders more talented than their competition in college week in and week out. That just doesn't happen in the NFL. Rhule made a living in college beating unranked teams. He had an abysmal rating vs. top 25 teams. I'm hopeful about Rhule, but I'm not even close to pretending that he's a slam dunk to succeed in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

They were going to swing big on deshaun and people were crying at what they were going to have to give to get him

Was Gase also at the Pinnacle? 

17 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

Rhule didn't win in college with great QB play.    He has never relied on it.  Two years into his NFL career he appears to be sticking with his same formula.  Prioritize defense. 

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

BIG difference between college and NFL in this regard. The much more even talent parity in the NFL compared to college puts a bigger influence on the QB position and play calling compared to college. The Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States, Oklahomas, etc. of college are  head and shoulders more talented than their competition in college week in and week out. That just doesn't happen in the NFL. Rhule made a living in college beating unranked teams. He had an abysmal rating vs. top 25 teams. I'm hopeful about Rhule, but I'm not even close to pretending that he's a slam dunk to succeed in the NFL.

I understand but to assume that he doesn’t or didn’t see the value of the qb is kind of wild to me

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Was Gase also at the Pinnacle? 

Obviously but there are different ways of getting there, one road the coattails of a hall of fame quarterback the other climbed his way by turning the fortunes of two separate organizations, both in very bad situations, in the capacity as head coach

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rhule didn't win in college with great QB play.    He has never relied on it. 

Even more of a testament to his abilities as a coach and organization builder. And really how many great quarterbacks have come out of college in the last five years compared to how many college programs there are? At most 2 a year.

8 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

I understand but to assume that he doesn’t or didn’t see the value of the qb is kind of wild to me

Why? He signed off on the signing of Teddy Bridgewater. A guy who had never shown the talent to be a high level NFL QB. At least Darnold has the talent. Whether he can put it all together or not remains to be seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhule didn't have some eye opening moments with Teddy last year. It's not hard for me to envision a scenario where they're sitting there breaking down film with Teddy and pointing out an open receiver and asking Teddy how he missed this guy and hearing in reply, "Coach, I saw him I just can't make that throw."

• Pie 3