• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Michael K. Williams

Anybodyhome

First comes a whistled tune—“The Farmer in the Dell,” delivered with extra menace. Then the sight of him—Omar Little, played by Michael K. Williams, stalking the streets of Baltimore in a billowing duster concealing a shotgun. Omar was the most indelible character on The Wire, one of TV’s greatest dramas, and the show was most viewers’ introduction to Williams, a captivating screen presence who was found dead yesterday in Brooklyn at the age of 54.

Williams demonstrated versatility far beyond that one character: “Michael K. Williams Is More Than Omar From The Wire,” declared the headline of an excellent 2017 profile of the actor. But on hearing of his death, I couldn’t help but think of his swaggering entrance on that show back in 2002, when he was a near-total unknown. Though The Wire was about the impassable institutional lines drawn between cops and criminals, Omar belonged to neither world, a stickup artist who robbed drug dealers and kept to his own moral code. From the first minute, Williams spun to life a singular character who was intimidating, unpredictable, and devilishly wry—a standout in a series littered with career-best performances.

-------------------------------------

I never watched The Wire, but I saw Williams in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White, Leonard Pine in Hap & Leonard, both underappreciated roles.

15 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

First comes a whistled tune—“The Farmer in the Dell,” delivered with extra menace. Then the sight of him—Omar Little, played by Michael K. Williams, stalking the streets of Baltimore in a billowing duster concealing a shotgun. Omar was the most indelible character on The Wire, one of TV’s greatest dramas, and the show was most viewers’ introduction to Williams, a captivating screen presence who was found dead yesterday in Brooklyn at the age of 54.

Williams demonstrated versatility far beyond that one character: “Michael K. Williams Is More Than Omar From The Wire,” declared the headline of an excellent 2017 profile of the actor. But on hearing of his death, I couldn’t help but think of his swaggering entrance on that show back in 2002, when he was a near-total unknown. Though The Wire was about the impassable institutional lines drawn between cops and criminals, Omar belonged to neither world, a stickup artist who robbed drug dealers and kept to his own moral code. From the first minute, Williams spun to life a singular character who was intimidating, unpredictable, and devilishly wry—a standout in a series littered with career-best performances.

-------------------------------------

I never watched The Wire, but I saw Williams in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White, Leonard Pine in Hap & Leonard, both underappreciated roles.

I watched Hap & Leonard also, and really enjoyed it.

Some of my favorite Omar moments are when he robs the clock shop. In that scene, he robs a known drug dealer who works on clocks, and then asks the drug dealer how much he owes him for the work he performed on his clock, then pays him the amount in full.

• Pie 1