• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A great article on DJ Moore

KB_fan

30 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Don't think this has been posted....

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/dj-moore-carolina-panthers-emerging-star

It's good to see DJ getting some recognition!

I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but a little later this evening I hope to look at all the 3rd down conversions so far.  I'm willing to bet it's DJ who has had the lion's share.  He has become the new "Mr. Reliable" (along with CMC, of course) and has been clutch on a number of tough and crucial 3rd downs.

I think the team (or at least the stadium crowd) would have deflated like a popped balloon yesterday had DJ not snagged that Red Zone TD.  We had to get the monkey off our back of all the missed goal line plays.  Sam being able to get the ball to DJ there was a huge lift for the team and the fans!

Very interested to see this as my eyes/gut tells me that Terrace Marshall Jr is getting a bulk of his usage on 3rd downs.

Watch it be CMC tho

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but a little later this evening I hope to look at all the 3rd down conversions so far.  I'm willing to bet it's DJ who has had the lion's share.  He has become the new "Mr. Reliable" (along with CMC, of course) and has been clutch on a number of tough and crucial 3rd downs.

My count after a quick look through the game logs:

12 total 3rd down conversions:

vs Jets
McCaffrey: 1
Marshall: 1
Moore: 2

vs Saints
McCaffrey: 4
Moore: 3 (1 for a TD)

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Thunderbird037 said:

My count after a quick look through the game logs:

12 total 3rd down conversions:

vs Jets
McCaffrey: 1
Moore: 2

vs Saints
McCaffrey: 4
Moore: 3 (1 for a TD)

Thanks!  I did the same tracking using game logs, but also checked total attempts by player and yardage details.  See below...

So, on the topic of 3rd down conversions, both CMC & DJ have been reliable so far, each with 5 3rd down conversions.  But DJ is leading the team in terms of 3rd down conversion % (Conversions per total attempts where he is the target on 3rd down.)

CMC has converted 5 of 8 attempts.

DJ has converted 5 of 6 attempts, and his only miss was when he got 9 yards on a 3rd & 11.  REALLY impressive!

Dan Arnold is 0/3

Sam Darnold is 0/4  (3 sacks, 1 fumble)

Chuba Hubbard is 0/2

Terrace Marshall Jr. is 2/6

I'll have a separate thread on full 3rd & 4th down stats and each attempt later tonight.

Here are the deets for DJ & CMC:

1515042310_DJ-3rds.png.a7ce3d980621e8c160182507c55270cf.png981012613_CMC-3rds.png.54dd982817fe6ad1b5e621b1820b65b6.png

• Pie 2

I just got done arguing with a Falcon fan.  He was like I bet the Panthers are regretting picking D.J.Moore over Ridley.  I was like.. um nope.. I think Moore is better.  We brought up both the stats.. and they were very close.  Moore has 2 1K recieving years more total yards , Ridley had a breakout season last year and has scored more TD.   Then I was like while even though Matt Ryan sucks he has been at the top percentage of QB's over the years.  DJ has had the ghost of Cam Newton's shoulder, Heinike, PJ Walker, Teddy 2 gloves ...etc. 

We asked another person and he was like I would take Ridley because he was waaayyy better.  We did the stats thing again, and he was like.. " um I didn't realize it was that close".   I think as we play better the DJ Moore respect will grow. 

2 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

So, on the topic of 3rd down conversions, both CMC & DJ have been reliable so far, each with 5 3rd down conversions.  But DJ is leading the team in terms of 3rd down conversion % (Conversions per total attempts where he is the target on 3rd down.)

CMC has converted 5 of 8 attempts.

DJ has converted 5 of 6 attempts, and his only miss was when he got 9 yards on a 3rd & 11.  REALLY impressive!

Dan Arnold is 0/3

Sam Darnold is 0/4  (3 sacks, 1 fumble)

Chuba Hubbard is 0/2

Terrace Marshall Jr. is 2/6

I'll have a separate thread on full 3rd & 4th down stats and each attempt later tonight.

Here are the deets for DJ & CMC:

1515042310_DJ-3rds.png.a7ce3d980621e8c160182507c55270cf.png981012613_CMC-3rds.png.54dd982817fe6ad1b5e621b1820b65b6.png

I would be curious to know the percentage of 3rd downs they end in per drive if that is even tracked. 

The simplest way to fix 3rd down woes is to not get in a 3rd down situations that often. But that's easier said than done.

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I would be curious to know the percentage of 3rd downs they end in per drive if that is even tracked. 

The simplest way to fix 3rd down woes is to not get in a 3rd down situations that often. But that's easier said than done.

Looks like 29 third down attempts on 24 total drives. League average is 21.6 drives and just over 25.1 3rd down attempts through 2 games. So i guess we end up in 3rd down situations slightly more often than the average team.

Edited by Thunderbird037

Just now, Thunderbird037 said:

Looks like 29 third down attempts on 24 total drives. League average is 21.6 drives and just over 25.1 3rd down attempts through 2 games.

Interesting. Our 3rd down troubles are noticeable to the untrained eye and it looks like there is some merit there, not much but it's something.