• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Congrats to the Baylor Bears football team for finishing the CFB regular season in the top 10

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We need to take heed of this lesson. Move on from Rhule to take the next step forward.

If Tepper has shown anything, he is slow to pull the trigger 

we all wish he would see the backward progress and read the probability but I don’t see it 

his past handling of Rivera and Hurney is the indicator 

Edited by raleigh-panther

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We need to take heed of this lesson. Move on from Rhule to take the next step forward.

That's a pretty shallow take.

Who is to say that Baylor might not be in the same place or better had Rhule stayed?  The juniors and seniors on that team are the guys Rhule recruited and coached.

Baylor did well this season.  Matt Rhule should get some credit for that.  Saying they got there because Rhule left is at best a shallow look at the situation.  MR's suitability for the NFL is questionable, but his success in college should not be.

Rhule may or may not be the answer here.  Jury is still out.  I will say that it's not looking good for him.  Most coaches are able to at least make progress in their first two seasons, even if they don't end up with a playoff team.

Some examples:

John Harbaugh took over a 5-11 Ravens team and got them to the playoffs the next five years straight.

Andy Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs team and got them to 11-5 the next year.

Sean Payton took over a perennial loser in New Orleans, 3-13 the year prior, and got them to 10-6 his first year.

Pete Carroll took over a 5-11 Seahawks team and built the Legion of Boom by year three.

If you believe in a coach when you hire him, you give him three years.  If he hasn't turned it around by the end of year three, he never will.  I don't understand the seven years, that never made sense to me.  The only thing I can come up with is that Tepper was still in Steelers mode.

The problem with that thinking is that the Steelers are a complete anomaly.  They've had three coaches since 1969.  That's just not something you can count on reproducing.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, BrianS said:

That's a pretty shallow take.

Who is to say that Baylor might not be in the same place or better had Rhule stayed?  The juniors and seniors on that team are the guys Rhule recruited and coached.

Baylor did well this season.  Matt Rhule should get some credit for that.  Saying they got there because Rhule left is at best a shallow look at the situation.  MR's suitability for the NFL is questionable, but his success in college should not be.

Rhule may or may not be the answer here.  Jury is still out.  I will say that it's not looking good for him.  Most coaches are able to at least make progress in their first two seasons, even if they don't end up with a playoff team.

Some examples:

John Harbaugh took over a 5-11 Ravens team and got them to the playoffs the next five years straight.

Andy Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs team and got them to 11-5 the next year.

Sean Payton took over a perennial loser in New Orleans, 3-13 the year prior, and got them to 10-6 his first year.

Pete Carroll took over a 5-11 Seahawks team and built the Legion of Boom by year three.

If you believe in a coach when you hire him, you give him three years.  If he hasn't turned it around by the end of year three, he never will.  I don't understand the seven years, that never made sense to me.  The only thing I can come up with is that Tepper was still in Steelers mode.

The problem with that thinking is that the Steelers are a complete anomaly.  They've had three coaches since 1969.  That's just not something you can count on reproducing.

Matt Rhule's success in college includes getting beat by every ranked team he ever faced, save for the two times he ran into ECU and Navy teams that just luckily happened to be ranked that week and then turned the ball over like crazy in those games.

Rhule's college "success" is massively overrated. He took bad programs and built them to the point they could beat other bad teams. He never proved he could get a team over that hump of actually being able to beat good teams.

• Flames 1

When we hired Rhule nobody was trying to tout his win/loss record it was all about the year 1/year 2/year 3 sales pitch. Which looking back at now is not holding up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny. The used car salesman thing is looking to be pretty accurate at the moment unfortunately.

• Pie 1