• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1/29 Game Thread: NJ Devils @ Carolina 7PM Puck Drop

Anybodyhome

Sorry, guys, I'm out tonite. Have a pre-scheduled social obligation that only crippling myself, getting to the ER, being treated and released before the game will get me out of.... I may have to sneak an earbud on the off-side of my wife during dinner so I can listen. Don't get me wrong, she's as much a Canes fan as any of us, but there are times, if you know what I mean. 

It's Whaler Night!

The Governor of Connecticut has weighed in on the Hurricanes' use of  Hartford Whalers jerseys - Article - Bardown

Keep The Good Starts Going: Carolina has gotten off to strong starts in their last four contests, each time showcasing at least a strong suit of scoring early or shutting down their opposition from the get-go. One week ago today against New Jersey, more on that in a minute, they scored twice in the game's opening 5:44. Then, in the other three games, they've held New York, Vegas and Ottawa to a combined 16 shots in the opening 20 minutes.

Get It Right Back: As mentioned above these two teams met one week ago today in Newark. Carolina had a unique travel situation, as they did not partake in their usual day-before travel due to a snowstorm in Wake County. So they traveled to New Jersey the day of the game and that night things did not go their way. Teuvo Teravainen did not play due to a lower-body injury and the group as a whole defensively was not very strong, as they'd allow seven goals over the course of the night. Fortunately for Carolina they don't have to wait long to try and avenge their loss though.

Working Overtime: In both of their last two games played the Canes have needed more than regulation to get the job done, taking down Vegas in overtime on Tuesday and then winning their first shootout of the year over Ottawa on Thursday.

Fantastic Freddie: Canes All-Star netminder Frederik Andersen has been the star of the show lately. He is 12-1 in his last 13 outings, ranks second in goals against average (GAA) with his 2.06, tied for second in wins with his 23, third in save percentage (SV%) with .927.

Additional Notes:

Milestone Watch: Brady Skjei will play in his 100th game as a Hurricane tonight. Derek Stepan is two points shy of 500 for his NHL career.

• Pie 2

47 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I like starting Raanta tonight because they'll need a stout Freddie in net tomorrow in the back-to-back.

Agreed. I’d rather have Freddy vs. the Sharks who still have some fight left in them. Hopefully Raanta will be just that much better he doesn’t give up 7 goals… 

• Pie 2