• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2/25 Game Thread: Blue Jackets @ Canes- Puck Drop 7PM

Anybodyhome

Blue line needs to step up big the next few games. Smith and TDA out against a hot Columbus team who beat up Florida lat night. That may be the difference -maker as Carolina has been off most of the week while the Blue Jackets are on a back-to-back after Florida last night. 

Tonight may be a game to watch like a GM- does the team's performance tonite tell me I need to go find a rental blue-liner for the rest of the season? Am I willing to give up a Martinook, Lorentz or a bigger name and a draft pick?

Last Time Out: The Canes played the second half of a back-to-back Monday in Philadelphia, squeaking out a 4-3 overtime victory over the Flyers. It was also the team's fourth game in six days and while they went on to take seven out of the possible eight points, it was visible that by the end of the affair that there was very little gas left in the tank for the crew. Brett Pesce played the role of overtime hero, in a contest in which he and the rest of the blue line logged heavy minutes after Tony DeAngelo left due to injury.

No DeAngelo or Smith: 24 hours before DeAngelo left injured, Brendan Smith also left Sunday's battle against Pittsburgh after taking a shot to the head. Both are expected to be "out a while" according to Rod Brind'Amour, sharing the update Thursday afternoon. The door now opens for Jalen Chatfield, who is expected to draw in tonight. While this leaves the team with just six healthy defenseman, it also gives a big opportunity to both Chatfield, and Ethan Bear, who had been in and out of the lineup despite being healthy.

Go For Four: The team took victories over both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in consecutive days, coming following a 4-3 victory over Nashville at home last Friday. Their recent 3-0-1 stretch is very welcomed after going 1-2-1 to start the post-All-Star break schedule with a same 'four games in six days' situation. Tonight they'll go for their fourth victory in a row, in their 51st game of the season.

Turbo, Fuego: Teuvo Teravainen enters tonight's contest with points in six straight contests. Dating back to February 10 against Boston, #86 has two goals and six assists.

Dynamic Duo On The Cusp Of History: In the four most recent games of Teravainen's streak, he and Sebastian Aho have connected for a goal in each of them.  They have now accomplished the feat 169 times in their NHL/Hurricanes careers, and they are just two such goals away from tying Kevin Dineen and Ron Francis (1984-91, 1998-99: 171) for the most goal combinations by any duo in franchise history.

Columbus On A Run: While they sit on the outside looking in right now in terms of the playoff picture, Columbus has won seven of their eight games since the All-Star break. They've been hot even since before then, winning nine of their last 11. Additionally, they come to town having beaten a top 10 NHL team twice in the last three days - Florida, last night and Toronto on Monday.

Forwards:

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen

Jarvis - Trocheck - Necas

Niederreiter - Staal - Fast

Lorentz - Kotkaniemi - Martinook

Defensemen:

Slavin - Pesce

Skjei - Chatfield

Cole - Bear

Starting Goalie:

Andersen

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I won't be able to watch most of the game due to work. Feeling another Aho-TT strike coming tonight...

20210525_181441.gifFor some reason I think we might see a Gordie Hattie from our gentle giant tonight...

8480830 (2) (2).png

I expect to see the physicality to be  stepped up all around. We'll need it with TDA out.

Edited by Stumpy
the homies who ain't with us no more
  • Pie 1

Thru 2 the BJs are held to less than 10 shots. Canes keeping it in the O-zone a lot, 36 shots to 9. This Berube guy in net for Columbus is playing out of his mind. 2-0 Carolina.

Staal scored on his 4th shot attempt on the same play!

Turbo off the draw, cannon over the glove-side shoulder from the far dot.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I won't be able to watch most of the game due to work. Feeling another Aho-TT strike coming tonight...

20210525_181441.gifFor some reason I think we might see a Gordie Hattie from our gentle giant tonight...

8480830 (2) (2).png

I expect to see the physicality to be  stepped up all around. We'll need it with TDA out.

2 out of 3 (3 of 4 if you count smoking weed everyday) on my predictions tonight ain't bad...

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Harbingers said:

We’re they paired? 

Skjei and Chatfield, Cole and Bear.

Both of those lines got more ice time than Slavin and Pesce and played very well. There were a couple breakaway opportunities that Chatfield stopped and Bear broke up a 3-on-1. "Holding their own" is not really a fair description- they played really well.

Chatfield got his face smashed in Chicago a couple weeks ago and hadn't played in 14 days. There was some concern he'd not be ready to skate and maybe a little apprehensive with the major injury, but he came out strong. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1