• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49ers want ____ for Jimmy G

ncfan

5 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

He also passed for 20 TDs which was the same amount as Taylor fuging Heinicke (20)  and two more than Teddy Bridgewater (18) in one more game. 

20 TDs is also the same as Matt Ryan, who went for a third.  BTW that is 3 more TD's than Mayfield.

True, his  int% is high at 2.7, ranked 27th, but passer rating and QBR take ints and TDs into account.  His int% is the same as Joe Burrow, but it is better than Mayfield who has an int% of 3.1 ranked 29th.

I noted his injury history twice and said he has only played one full season.  Yes he's older, but he hasn't had the wear and tear because he sat behind the GOAT for years.  Belichek wanted him to take over, Kraft wouldn't have it.

I'm not saying to break the bank for the guy.  I'm saying he's a good QB and is much better than Darnold or Mayfield.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

22 minutes ago, poundaway said:

20 TDs is also the same as Matt Ryan, who went for a third.  BTW that is 3 more TD's than Mayfield.

True, his  int% is high at 2.7, ranked 27th, but passer rating and QBR take ints and TDs into account.  His int% is the same as Joe Burrow, but it is better than Mayfield who has an int% of 3.1 ranked 29th.

I noted his injury history twice and said he has only played one full season.  Yes he's older, but he hasn't had the wear and tear because he sat behind the GOAT for years.  Belichek wanted him to take over, Kraft wouldn't have it.

I'm not saying to break the bank for the guy.  I'm saying he's a good QB and is much better than Darnold or Mayfield.

Id argue Ryan was throwing to Kyle Pitts and a punch of practice squad players on a team, that now without him has the worst roster in the NFL. Ryan also has the respect that comes with an MVP and has missed 3 games in 15 years. I wouldn't want Ryan for a 3rd but could at least see why the trade was made. 

Bakers 3.1% doesn't scare me nearly as much as he's a year removed from a 1.6% in 2020 after playing through injuries last season. I'll concede Jimmy also was fighting a thumb injury and if memory serves a few of his interceptions were in that last month stretch. 

I just don't know that I see enough to determine that Jimmy is "much" better than Baker. Darnold? Absolutely, no arguments here. Without knowing what each would cost I can't make an absolute decision but I'd pass on either of them if they're wanting more than a 4th/5th. 

• Pie 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-why-panthers-dont-make-sense-49ers-partner

The 49ers, according to reports, are asking for something in the neighborhood of one to two second-round picks for Garoppolo.

As far as compensation in a Garoppolo trade, there's also the fact Ryan only fetched a third-round pick. Ryan is more durable and accomplished than Garoppolo, so it seems unlikely that the Panthers, or any team, will meet the 49ers' reported asking price.

There's also the issue of Darnold and his $18.58 million fully-guaranteed salary. Should the Panthers trade for Garoppolo, they'd have to find a taker for Darnold just one year after they gave up three draft picks to get him. With four years of subpar to downright ghastly play on tape, Darnold is a sunk cost, and there's little chance any team will willingly take him off the Panthers' hands and pay that salary.

The 49ers wouldn't be interested in taking back Darnold even if the Panthers ate a chunk of his salary. San Francisco guaranteed Nate Sudfeld's $2 million contract, which signaled they intend to have him back up Lance next season. The 49ers also would like to re-allocate Garoppolo's money to contract extensions for Deebo Samuel and Nick Bosa. Taking on any amount of Darnold's money doesn't fit with the plan.

9ers may be stuck with JimmyG for a while.  They are not going to send him in division to the Seahawks...and we're stuck with Sam.