• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Satellite internet.

motocross_cat

Starlink has been holding my deposit for over a year. It was supposed to be available here by last summer. I'm about to say fug it and cancel. Yeah, Starlink is a lot faster than my current speeds but it's also more expensive and I'm honestly not struggling with my current speeds like I thought I might.

I'll add that I do online game.  I do not need crazy high speed because I hardline the playstaion to router.  I have dish network but they say that their internet is not available here yet.  I'll show my ignorance but makes no sense to me because I'm 30 min from charlotte and 15 min from waxhaw and if you know the area thats the fastest growing place on the planet.

I have tried to get spectrum but I'm a 1/4 mile off the main road and the neighborhood behind my house is ran by communist homeowners association.  I could run from there and i could throw a rock at the box but they won't let me without basically getting a fuging lawer involved.

Edited by motocross_cat

8 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

I have tried to get spectrum but I'm a 1/4 mile off the main road and the neighborhood behind my house is ran by communist homeowners association.  I could run from there and i could throw a rock at the box but they won't let me without basically getting a fuging lawer involved.

I'm really lucky to have (relatively slow) broadband access given that my driveway is over a quarter of a mile long and I'm over a half of a mile off of the nearest public road. The builder of the house had it ran. I have no idea what that cost, but I contacted AT&T about an upgrade and they didn't even quote me an exact price, they just said over $12k. Okay, cool. Thanks but no thanks.

Just ran a speed test and it's 12.9 down and 0.76 up. Like I said, slow but it works for my needs. I don't do online gaming so streaming Netflix and the likes is the extent of my needs. Once there's more 4k content available for streaming I'll probably start running into issues and need an upgrade.

Satellite internet is ok for browsing the web, streaming videos and such. If you want to do online gaming the ping is probably going to suck pretty bad. A lot of them also employ data caps. 

I would get it only as a last option, I used to have satellite when I lived in Laurinburg close to the SC border.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have Star Link..its great. I was getting  200+ down and like 30 up before my cell/area filled but at peak hours now I get about 30-50 down and 5-15 up.  I have no other options so this is great.   I hit the SC or VA data centers on Apex legends and I get a 70 ping.    

As far as other internet options go. I've heard they are all trash.

Edited by TbTeRRoR

On 4/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, Inimicus said:

I think I put it in a different thread about this but I just dont know how Id get by on less than 500 down.  I pay for Gigabit down and average somewhere in the 875-900 range.  My up is capped at 40 but that doesn't seem to bother me.

Like Ive said before, the places Im looking to move are going to be more rural so Im not likely to enjoy the abundance of bandwidth I have now but these sub 250 down speeds...  That alone is crossing some properties off the list.

I am really curious why you need so much?    I had 30 down and was streaming 3  tvs  and 3 connected and used Computers( I was gaming getting 30 ping to Chicago servers) Also 2 tablets may have been running at the same time My kids are already super users.