• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers should take a QB (article)

Growl

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean the perfect storm literally happened the last draft.   and they drafted a CB when Fields fell to them. 

will you let it go, yes, they drafted a gamecock, move on.

honestly the problem wasn’t even horn, it was the parade of buttpats they got after the darnold trade that made them feel “wow, we did it, we got a QB for cheap!”

i honestly still think they were entertaining QB when the trade went through and only doubled down after everyone lined up to tell them what a good boy they were

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, Growl said:

will you let it go, yes, they drafted a gamecock, move on.

honestly the problem wasn’t even horn, it was the parade of buttpats they got after the darnold trade that made them feel “wow, we did it, we got a QB for cheap!”

i honestly still think they were entertaining QB when the trade went through and only doubled down after everyone lined up to tell them what a good boy they were

you said something was never going to happen....that literally just happened in the last draft.  

me being a Clemson doesn't mean diddly when it comes to the pros.  I generally advocate against a lot of Clemson players in terms of them panning out.   I wanted Gilmore over Jackson and Wharton is one of my favorites of all time.  And I have always argued you could claim Captain Munnerlyn was one of the best draft picks we ever made (all things factored).  

But yeah, Justin Fields was the correct pick.  It's not hard.  Matt Rhule just fugs things up.  If you are rebuilding with no OL and QB and can't stop the run.....you don't draft a DB.  No matter how good he is. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

you said something was never going to happen....that literally just happened in the last draft.  

me being a Clemson doesn't mean diddly when it comes to the pros.  I generally advocate against a lot of Clemson players in terms of them panning out.   I wanted Gilmore over Jackson and Wharton is one of my favorites of all time.  And I have always argued you could claim Captain Munnerlyn was one of the best draft picks we ever made (all things factored). 

But yeah, Justin Fields was the correct pick.  It's not hard.  Matt Rhule just fugs things up.  If you are rebuilding with no OL and QB and can't stop the run.....you don't draft a DB.  No matter how good he is. 

Justin fields wasn’t Trevor Lawrence and Trevor Lawrence went one overall and Jacksonville entertained no trade offers.

Fields got enormous amounts of criticism on this forum last offseason, and with a few exceptions, most of the people that don’t want a QB now didn’t want him then. 

the people on this board wanted Lawrence, because there is a demographic of people here who believe that is the only kind of QB worth taking. Once Lawrence was out of reach, the conversation didn’t switch to the next QB. It switched to Penei sewell.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Growl said:

Justin fields wasn’t Trevor Lawrence and Trevor Lawrence went one overall and Jacksonville entertained no trade offers.

Fields got enormous amounts of criticism on this forum last offseason, and with a few exceptions, most of the people that don’t want a QB now didn’t want him then. 

the people on this board wanted Lawrence, because there is a demographic of people here who believe that is the only kind of QB worth taking. Once Lawrence was out of reach, the conversation didn’t switch to the next QB. It switched to Penei sewell.

Trevor is a rare duck. You see one of those about once a decade.  Almost not worth talking about that tier prospect.  Remove Trevor from last year's class and it was still a QB draft.  This one isn't. 

again, the storm you just referenced happened.  Which was the point of bringing it up.  Never happen, just happened.  We failed to captialize on the opportunity.   But it happened.  

The fact Matt Rhule paid a bunch of draft captial for the worst starting QB in the NFL had a lot to do with folks thinking about doing something different.  And the national converation at that moment the Sam deal was made was that all the QBs might be gone by the time Carolina drafted.  But a very healthy percentage still wanted Fields despite that dumb move by Rhule when he fell to us. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

If we get one of the big 3 LTs in this draft and trade for Baker/Jimmy plus we have freed up money for an additional FA if we need, plus who knows what Rhule/Fitt will trade away. Just swapping out QBs in general makes this team very different. Baker and Jimmy shown they can get you into the playoffs with a string team around him. That’s not necessarily the route I want, but it’s a real option our staff is looking at. 

In the best case scenario that you just posted above, how many wins do you see with rhule coaching?

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Tank for Howell! Tank for Trevor! 

it’s all the same. Just keep throwing darts at qbs until you land a true franchise otherwise we’re gonna be stuck either sucking or being average until we’re all dead.

Mahomes and Allen were raw as all get out prospects and teams traded first round picks for them. If we have an opportunity to take Malik at 6 they need to do it.

I can see a scenario where all the tackles are gone and Malik is left sitting there at 6 and we take a fuging edge rusher because this franchise is dumb as fug.

Churning through jack offs every 3 years is how you become the Jets and Browns.  

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Trevor is a rare duck. You see one of those about once a decade.  Almost not worth talking about that tier prospect.  

Yeah no kidding bud, thanks, the point here is that so many are waiting for it, and it isn’t going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He's a moronic joke troll

you know what’s a joke

turning tail and running earlier in the thread when multiple people started pressing you only to try and return when after waiting for a couple discount posters to come and make an argument for you

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

Yeah no kidding bud, thanks, the point here is that so many are waiting for it, and it isn’t going to happen. 

again, it just did.  Justin Fields was his name.  The guy who was largely viewed as 1b to Trevor the last 2 years of college football leading up to the draft.  He outplayed Trevor the two times he shared the field with him. He fell to us at #8.  The scenario you mentioned happened. 

The whole point is you can't say it can't happen.  What can't happen is to have clowns like Matt Rhule in charge when the opportunities do occur.  Because you miss them with clowns in charge.   Who sell you crazy math like worst QB in the NFL + CB prospect > drafting Fields LOL.  Just as insane today as it was then. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Tank for Howell! Tank for Trevor! 

it’s all the same. Just keep throwing darts at qbs until you land a true franchise otherwise we’re gonna be stuck either sucking or being average until we’re all dead.

Mahomes and Allen were raw as all get out prospects and teams traded first round picks for them. If we have an opportunity to take Malik at 6 they need to do it.

I can see a scenario where all the tackles are gone and Malik is left sitting there at 6 and we take a fuging edge rusher because this franchise is dumb as fug.

There are people here who want an OT simply because they want an OT and no matter how much information is presented to them, they will turn and hide and simply wait for the next thread to pop up when the tide may be more favorable 

whether or it’s lingering biases on roster construction “gotta build those trenches!” or just a generally risk averse nature and a misguided belief that OTs are “safe,” people have dug their heels in and no matter how many seasons go by, no matter how many developmental QBs get drafted and excel in front of their very eyes, they are going to want an OT because it’s an nfl fortune cookieism that Hog Molly=Good and so you can’t go wrong taking one.

• The D 1