• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Couple of front office moves

Mr. Scot

17 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Ionannidis, despite being a Temple player, was a good pickup. And remember there's a second-round DE who's getting his shot alongside Burns this year, whether we believe he's ready and qualified or not. Generally worth kicking the tires on a year of starting a DL if you burned that high of a pick on him. 

At LB, losing Perryman sucked but he flat-out didn't want to play for Matt Rhule, and I wouldn't either. So no hard feelings there, plus he's on my second-favorite team now. Bringing aboard Littleton isn't a bad move, and Damien Wilson, before his off-field troubles, made decent sense. 

I think the defense will disappoint people this year if they expect it to be top-10, but my belief is that there are enough pieces that it won't prove right the people who think it's bottom-10. 

There are more questions than answers on the defense, TBH. The secondary looks like it has potential to be fearsome but almost the entire front seven is very questionable. Not player by player but certainly as a unit.

I definitely didn't see any moves this offseason that made me think they were better than the 2021 DL overhaul and that had very mixed results. 

So, it's going to boil down to how many of those questions end up having positive answers. I think it might be a lot to ask for that unit to make big improvements. But, modest improvements aren't nothing.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the defense will disappoint people because Phil Snow isn't as good a DC as people think.

Yeah. I sort of think the same thing. He's effective at certain aspects but I don't think he will ever be considered a great defensive coordinator in the NFL. It's easy to get enamored with his defenses when they are clicking but I think his style has some very critical flaws.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah. I sort of think the same thing. He's effective at certain aspects but I don't think he will ever be considered a great defensive coordinator in the NFL. It's easy to get enamored with his defenses when they are clicking but I think his style has some very critical flaws.

He got figured out around week four last year and never recovered, adjusted or compensated.

Maybe guys like Wilks can help him this year but the bottom line for me is that Snow, like Rhule, is basically a college coach trying to compete at the NFL level.

They're both out of their depth.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He got figured out around week four last year and never recovered, adjusted or compensated.

Maybe guys like Wilks can help him this year but the bottom line for me is that Snow, like Rhule, is basically a college coach trying to compete at the NFL level.

They're both out of their depth.

Agreed. I remember reading a lot of anonymous quotes from NFL people over the course of the season about how we were basically being run like a college team. 

I just don't see that as particularly recoverable, unfortunately. It's going to have to be a post-Rhule fix, even with more experienced NFL guys around.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. I remember reading a lot of anonymous quotes from NFL people over the course of the season about how we were basically being run like a college team. 

I just don't see that as particularly recoverable, unfortunately. It's going to have to be a post-Rhule fix, even with more experienced NFL guys around.

Only real hope I see there is someone like Wilks stepping in.

But Snow is one of Rhule's "untouchables" so I don't know if that can happen.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I am not sure Wilks is going to be in a position to be that kind of advisor/mentor. TBH, we have no idea how much of a voice these new hires are going to have. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure Wilks is going to be in a position to be that kind of advisor/mentor. TBH, we have no idea how much of a voice these new hires are going to have. 

Unknown, but I have a hard time believing Rhule is going to allow anybody to overstep Phil Snow.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let Rhule make him an assistant head coach and replace him with Wilks as a last resort if that's what he wants.  Or he can move on and take his boy with him.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Meh, Kuechly didn't need a coach. Kuechly was smarter and helped the linebacker group more than any coach we've had. Holcomb's expendable in my book.

Disagree. Kuechly said Holcomb was great, even after being pissed that his original coach Warren Belin got fired.

Holcomb was also the guy in charge of coaching Jeremy Chinn his rookie year.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Disagree. Kuechly said Holcomb was great, even after being pissed that his original coach Warren Belin got fired.

Holcomb was also the guy in charge of coaching Jeremy Chinn his rookie year.

Well whatever he does it's not making a difference in overall team performance.