• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

J.J. Watt Went Into AFib This Week, Playing Today…

MillionDollarCam

14 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Gotcha, I don’t know anything about the medical field so just seeing that there was something wrong with Watt’s heart and subsequently seeing that he was playing today was shocking, but I guess there are situations where it isn’t overtly serious.

I stand slightly corrected.  Peon knows his poo...  see below.  I think I'll edit that first post, too, to avoid spreading any misinformation.

7 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Actually that is the one complicating factor in all this. Because afib results in erratic heart contractions, sometimes blood can pool into one corner of the heart that's not contracting well and form a clot. The clot can eventually get dislodged and enter the circulation to the brain and cause a stroke. Since afib has a high chance of recurring even after a shock, many people are on blood thinners even if they fix the afib. Doubt Watt could play on blood thinners given higher risk of internal bleeding with collisions. My guess is the team decided since Watt can be monitored so frequently, they'll catch any afib recurrence early and preempt the need for blood thinners.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

I'd also add some cases can be treated with medication.  I had afib / vtach episodes in my youth.  They tried an ablation (essentially burning out irregular electrical signals) but didn't think that was successful.  They put in an ICD (internal cardio defibrillator) which is what the soccer player got.  The medication has been successful at preventing arrhythmias for 20 years (knock on wood), so when I needed new ICD a few years ago, they just took the whole thing out.

Can't comment on Watt's case, but that was my experience.

Glad you're doing well now, buddy.  Continued health!

• Pie 2

59 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Wow...  I'm an idiot.  Typed stroke and completely disregarded clots are the cause of stroke lol.  I just remembered reading that although it can be dangerous, that it seemed it was often treated conservatively and a lot of people just lived with it, and I was a bit shocked by that.

Thank you for the very informative post!

you're not wrong. isolated incidents of afib are not necessarily treated aggressively. afib can be caused by smoke inhalation, stress, drinking too much, hard hits, covid (my father for example), or ASCVD. When someone had a stroke that I suspected was cardioembolic I would go ahead and treat them as if they were (eliquis, xarelto, rarely warfarin) and order a Loop record. A loop recorder is a small recorder about the size of two matchsticks that goes under the skin and is monitored by cardiology. if someone doesn't have afib after like  a year, its safe to assume their stroke was caused by.....something.....and dc'd the OAC. 

there's also a watchmen device they can put in, which is a tiny little net that covers a tiny, vestigial part of the heart where clots like to form. They can also go in there and just remove it but that's very uncommon. Watchman device is a breeze. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

you're not wrong. isolated incidents of afib are not necessarily treated aggressively. afib can be caused by smoke inhalation, stress, drinking too much, hard hits, covid (my father for example), or ASCVD. When someone had a stroke that I suspected was cardioembolic I would go ahead and treat them as if they were (eliquis, xarelto, rarely warfarin) and order a Loop record. A loop recorder is a small recorder about the size of two matchsticks that goes under the skin and is monitored by cardiology. if someone doesn't have afib after like  a year, its safe to assume their stroke was caused by.....something.....and dc'd the OAC. 

there's also a watchmen device they can put in, which is a tiny little net that covers a tiny, vestigial part of the heart where clots like to form. They can also go in there and just remove it but that's very uncommon. Watchman device is a breeze. 

That's scary about your dad.  Hope he's doing well.  I read a statistic a couple months back that they've found early follow-up studies have shown some ridiculous increase in cardiac issues/events in the first year after covid.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

Are you sure that's afib?

did a cardiologist do this?

That's what they had originally diagnosed and the cardiologist gave me the nitro because I work too far away from medical treatment most times. It was later diagnosed that I had a massive magnesium deficiency, even though i was taking supplements, which triggered tachycardia then led into afib. I had to switch the type to get the proper absorption rate and it seems to have resolved. I have to say though, wearing that heart monitor in the heat of summer for a month was a ridiculous amount of fun.