• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pass Interference Calls: For and Against?

AlphabetsEnd

I rewatched the game on NFL+ condensed and noticed that on the almost-touchdown pass to Robbie that Ward is holding his left arm with both hands before the ball arrives and he turns his head. I watched the play a few times, and it looks like PI to me, and hindered Robbie's ability to separate and make the play. 

No call was made, and even without the catch, it's a goal line situation and it changes the game's momentum,  

The PI call against Carolina (CJ Henderson) was perhaps 'technically' interference, but it was a pretty soft. 

It always seems that the PI calls go against the Panthers and calls in favor don't seem to materialize. But this could be bias easily. 

For my part, I could only recall one PI call given to a Carolina receiver, but perhaps there are others I've forgotten. 

Has anyone else noticed this? Or, have concrete stats on it assuage my feeling that a struggling offense is not getting any favors...

2 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

I rewatched the game on NFL+ condensed and noticed that on the almost-touchdown pass to Robbie that Ward is holding his left arm with both hands before the ball arrives and he turns his head. I watched the play a few times, and it looks like PI to me, and hindered Robbie's ability to separate and make the play. 

No call was made, and even without the catch, it's a goal line situation and it changes the game's momentum,  

The PI call against Carolina (CJ Henderson) was perhaps 'technically' interference, but it was a pretty soft. 

It always seems that the PI calls go against the Panthers and calls in favor don't seem to materialize. But this could be bias easily. 

For my part, I could only recall one PI call given to a Carolina receiver, but perhaps there are others I've forgotten. 

Has anyone else noticed this? Or, have concrete stats on it assuage my feeling that a struggling offense is not getting any favors...

There is pass interference on almost every pass play, it just how you hide it. Kind of like holding. 

I see more PIs under Rhule than I remember seeing with Rivera and Fox. Might just be that I’m paying more attention to it, but we have a much better secondary now. Would likely attribute that to coaching. 

Also, despite having DJ our receiving group is having issues getting separation this season. Kind of strange but wouldn’t put that past coaching either. 

20 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

There is pass interference on almost every pass play, it just how you hide it. Kind of like holding. 

I see more PIs under Rhule than I remember seeing with Rivera and Fox. Might just be that I’m paying more attention to it, but we have a much better secondary now. Would likely attribute that to coaching. 

Also, despite having DJ our receiving group is having issues getting separation this season. Kind of strange but wouldn’t put that past coaching either. 

Oh, sure, PI is going on, but it does get called, and seems to not be getting called to help the Panther's receivers.  Panther's have had a few crucial, game changing PI's called against the secondary, CJ has had at least 2. 

But I can't think of a single one that really helped Carolina in the same way. But again, could be bias. 

WR separation is a byproduct of a few things, but poorly designed routes from McAdoo are not helping. There also is clear disconnection between WR and QB in route depth. I think we see a lot of overthrows and assume Mayfield is missing (which he does sometimes, QBs miss) but those throws are often landing near the sticks or a different spot. If the QB/WR are on the wrong page all the time, that's a coaching failure to fix. If that's happening (which it seems like a lot) it's likely separation is also being harder to pull off because of lack of coaching strong, hard route running and decision making. 

Edited by AlphabetsEnd

Eh, we typically get the short end of the stick on most calls but PIs for the most part seem legit to me. The ones called against us anyway. The Robbie no call made me raise my eyebrow but it wasn’t as egregious as the comical roughing the passer against the falcons today or the two terrible ref decisions at the end of our game with the Browns. 

13 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Eh, we typically get the short end of the stick on most calls but PIs for the most part seem legit to me. The ones called against us anyway. The Robbie no call made me raise my eyebrow but it wasn’t as egregious as the comical roughing the passer against the falcons today or the two terrible ref decisions at the end of our game with the Browns. 

Or the street fighter low kick right into their returners knee/chins today. Forgot who it was.