• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official HC Candidate Thread

methodtoll

28 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Scot likes donut parties for players. Harbaugh comes with the expectation that you will work your ass off to WIN. He was an NFL player under Mike Ditka, he will not cut any slack, you can love him AFTER the trophies.

Yeah, right 😆

In reality, I'm as old school as they come. Hell, I championed Mike Zimmer!

But I also know how things are these days. And Harbaugh would likely wind up failing for the same reason Zimmer did. That hardass approach just isn't working for this generation's pro athletes.

1 minute ago, Panthering said:

Mike LaFleur was OC for the Jets last year as well was he not? Also this list kind of leaves out the 50 year old guys which is a good age for a HC i think. Of this list:

1. Sean Payton

2. Shane Steichen

3. Ben Johnson

Passing game coordinator.

He was an OC at the college level but that was at a minor college and a while ago.

And it's not so much leaving out the guys in their 50s (I listed Martindale and Anarumo) as it is there aren't that many.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Passing game coordinator.

He was an OC at the college level but that was at a minor college and a while ago.

And it's not so much leaving out the guys in their 50s (I listed Martindale and Anarumo) as it is there aren't that many.

Lafleur was the OC for the Jets last year as well. This is his second year as OC, as it is Saleh's second year as HC and he brought him with him from SF.

Regardless, Shane Steichen remains at the top of my list. 

Dude has coached 3 completely different kinds of QBs (rivers, Herbert, Hurts) into pro bowl caliber players. Give him a rookie and let him mold the kid.

34 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Lafleur was the OC for the Jets last year as well. This is his second year as OC, as it is Saleh's second year as HC and he brought him with him from SF.

Regardless, Shane Steichen remains at the top of my list. 

Dude has coached 3 completely different kinds of QBs (rivers, Herbert, Hurts) into pro bowl caliber players. Give him a rookie and let him mold the kid.

I only had him as one. I can't edit that anymore but you can if you don't mind.

Mentioned it elsewhere, the thing about Steichen is you have to watch what the Chargers do. He'd be a really popular choice there and it would be a natural fit for him.

He does have one connection here that I know of, but that's a little bit awkward given that it's to our current interim head coach.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, right 😆

In reality, I'm as old school as they come. Hell, I championed Mike Zimmer!

But I also know how things are these days. And Harbaugh would likely wind up failing for the same reason Zimmer did. That hardass approach just isn't working for this generation's pro athletes.

What are you even talking about?! He's coaching and winning with THAT generation as we speak.

Weak sauce Scot, and you know it. Harbaugh smashes everyone. Vegas said so last hc hiring cycle for us and it remains the same because that Sean Payton slurping will go nowhere.

Harbaugh is one of the best to ever coach in the NFL, I'm not saying that .695 win percentage with a one read QB in the NFL says it all.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

What are you even talking about?! He's coaching and winning with THAT generation as we speak.

Weak sauce Scot, and you know it. Harbaugh smashes everyone. Vegas said so last hc hiring cycle for us and it remains the same because that Sean Payton slurping will go nowhere.

Harbaugh is one of the best to ever coach in the NFL, I'm not saying that .695 win percentage with a one read QB in the NFL says it all.

Dude, he couldn't even beat Ohio State until last year.

Ask the Vikings what they think of h

5 hours ago, methodtoll said:

Given what Tepper said about giving coaches less control in his presser, I do not see Harbaugh being a candidate.

I think Harbaugh can be a team player. I'm sure he can stay out of the GMs wheel house. He'd definitely want a say like every coach but he's not the raging maniac he's made out to be, he was a good NFL QB and now still a great leader of men.

We would be very very very lucky if he came back to Bank of America stadium.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

In a prior thread, I compiled a list of the various red flags associated with some of the hot names seen in the media.

I've expanded that a little to repost it here...

Kind of on the young side (under 40)

-    Kellen Moore (34)
-    Mike LaFleur (35)
-    Mike Kafka (35)
-    Ben Johnson (36)
-    Shane Steichen (37)
-    Brian Callahan (38)
-    Demeco Ryans (38)
-    Jonathan Gannon (39)

Kind of on the old side (near or over 60)

-    Leslie Frazier (63)
-    Rich Bisaccia (62)
-    Don Martindale (59)
-    Lou Anarumo (56)

Kind of inexperienced (less than 10 years)

-    Jerod Mayo (4th season)
-    Kellen Moore (5th season)
-    Demeco Ryans (6th season)
-    Byron Leftwich (7th season)
-    Mike Kafka (7th season)

Is it them or their quarterback?

-    Byron Leftwich (tom Brady)
-    Ken Dorsey (Josh Allen)
-    Brian Callahan (Joe Burrow)
-    Eric Bieniemy (Patrick Mahones)
-    Mike Kafka (Patrick Mahomes*)

Is it them or their boss?

-    Byron Leftwich (Bruce Arians*)
-    Brian Callahan (Zac Taylor)
-    Eric Bieniemy (Andy Reid)
-    Mike Kafka (Andy Reid*)
-    Jerod Mayo (Bill Belichick)
-    Frank Smith (Mike McDaniel)

First year as a coordinator:

-    Demeco Ryans
-    Ben Johnson
-    Frank Smith
-    Jonathan Gannon
-    Mike LaFleur

Hasn't even been a coordinator yet:

-    Jerod Mayo

Retreads who weren’t very good the first time:

-    Brian Flores
-    Dan Quinn
-    Raheem Morris
-    Leslie Frazier

Would want absolute, unquestioned power:

- Sean Payton
- Jim Harbaugh

Belichick Coaching Tree:

-    Brian Flores
-    Jerod Mayo

Owners won't touch him with a 10 foot pole:

-    Eric Bieniemy

Also as mentioned with Harbaugh, by the time he was in his fourth year, he was hated by his own players (same as Gruden). You can also add that Payton would require giving up significant draft value to get him.

As noted previously, the one name that none of these red flags seem to apply to is Raiders DC Patrick Graham.

Couple of quibbles here:

DeMeco Ryans is in his 2nd year as 49ers DC.

While I wouldn't be thrilled Dan Quinn, I'm not sure I'd say he "wasn't very good" the first time. He was 46-44 with Atlanta, obviously they had the 28-3 Super Bowl meltdown (I might put that more on Kyle Shanahan than Quinn), but he also had the Falcons back in the playoffs the year after and they were a few yards away from going back to the NFC Championship game.

Edited by UNCrules2187