• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ and Eason time

Jackie Lee

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Intangible wise? I'd argue Rodgers and Mahomes are equal on a mental level, superior on the physical.

I'd probably also have thrown Russell Wilson into that mix before this season. Herbert might be but I don't know that we've seen enough of him to say that yet. Ditto Joe Burrow.

Some of the other guys I'd most closely compare to Brady have retired in the past few years. Brees was arguably the closest, though others would likely put one or both Manning brothers above him (or even above Brady for that matter).

Andrew Luck arguably could have gotten to that level but probably didn't play long enough. Wentz had potential too but God only knows what happened there. Hell, Matt Ryan is the same style of quarterback, though definitely nowhere near as close to Brady's talent level as the other guys.

Bottom Line: There are plenty of quarterbacks out there with more to offer than just athleticism. Brady isn't the only guy with superior brains.

I can agree with Rodgers and Mahomes... but the rest I am not quite convinced yet that they can reach levels of performance that Brady has shown since his rookie year.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I can agree with Rodgers and Mahomes... but the rest I am not quite convinced yet that they can reach levels of performance that Brady has shown since his rookie year.

Well, you can't discount the teams they were part of either.

Brady landed in what was probably the best situation he could have between Charlie Weis and later Josh McDaniels. Brees got the same when he joined up with Payton. Some of the current guys aren't in situations as beneficial as those.

Imagine, for example, Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert being coached by Andy Reid.

Edited by Mr. Scot

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, you can't discount the teams they were part of either.

Brady landed in what was probably the best situation he could have between Charlie Weis and later Josh McDaniels. Brees got the same when he joined up with Payton. Some of the current guys aren't in situations as beneficial as those.

Imagine, for example, Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert being coached by Andy Reid.

Totally agree there. Thats actually why I made my statement prior to this one. The other QBs you listed just are privy to what TB12 was. Thats a big difference, but thats what helped Aaron and Patrick.

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I want to say the latter, but the more I think about it the more it seems like a wash.  Most QB prospects are unsuccessful, and athletes like Cam Newton or Josh Allen are incredibly rare to begin with.

I think you have the best chance of finding a franchise QB if you're taking chances on better prospects.  Whether that's a top level prospect on an athletic level or the other end of the spectrum.  If we're waiting for a 3rd-5th round pick or a guy like Eason to come along and be the guy, I think we're going to be waiting for a very long time.  That's one of the worrying things about Fitterer's philosophy for me.  He hasn't come out and said it, but it seems like he thinks we can find another Russell Wilson on a discount rack in the draft or FA/trade.

So this is why I really liked the Corral pick. This preseason didn’t matter to me (I understand I’m close to alone on that). That argument has been had. Just stating my view.

He has a lot of traits you look for regarding arm talent (release, off platform, velocity, short/mid accuracy), combined with enough athleticism and foot speed to be a threat, and to be a solid foundation for navigating a pocket with agility. 

I think taking guys like him is the right move. They don’t have to be Cam, but they should be able to physically make all the nfl throws, and have the athleticism to make the first guy miss and run effective boots that can turn into positive yardage. 

If we draft another QB in the next draft, a Corral type is preferable, and then you coach these guys and you just need one of them to click mentally.