• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there still a case for Wilks?

Mr. Scot

I think he's got the HC gene from a locker room & practice leader perspective, but unsure about his abilities in game planning and figuring out the right vision for this team.  It's precisely why he worked well as Rivera's DB-C/Assistant-HC, he ran our practices and had the squad tight as hell in 2015/16 but he kind of slipped when he was our DC.  I still feel like Buffalo took our best staff.      

It's tough because the team supports him, he's local, likeable, and the narrative for becoming our HC has been set already.  

I think Tepper has to make the tough decision to sign someone else but should definitely interview and see what his long term plans would be and who he'd bring in to his staff.  We cannot be complacent if we want a turnaround and I'd need some assurance he's got an offensive mind to bring in.

17 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

I’ve been saying since Rhule got fired, he needs to be out on his ass too.

Henderson trade, Darnold trade, Mayfield trade/release, Jackson extension, Thomas extension, YGM, Nixon, Fletcher, Erving, Elflein, Anderson extension, trading away Perryman, Signing a Punter that don’t kick field goals last year. 

And all of this was Matt Rhule? Fitterer had no say on the matter?

Rhule was given roster control and was making decisions that no head coach should be making. Henderson trade was a miss, but it made sense given he was on the outs with the only coach in the NFL worse than Rhule. Risk vs reward. The Darnold trade was a response to getting rid of T2G publicly and having no other option. You can't negotiate a trade well when you have no leverage. We didn't really have a choice to pay what the Jets wanted because they could simply tell us to F off and we were screwed. It was handled terribly by Rhule and the FO. Mayfield for a 5th. Meh. Most 5ths don't contribute anyway so it wasn't much of a gamble at all even though it didn't work. Why anyone thought Baker/McAdoo would be a good pairing is the bigger question regarding that trade. Perryman was hurt in preseason and didn't want to be here, not shocking with Ray-Z at the helm. The others have Rhule's inability to evaluate or grade talent all over them. 

Typically a GM assembles a team for a coach and tries to find players to fit the coach's philosophy. That's doesn't appear to be the case, especially considering Tepper's willingness to get over evaluate situations, ie Watson. 

Seeing Fitts perfrom this offseason will be a much more accurate evaluation of his abilities. If he has that opportunity, fine. If not, that's ok too. It just wouldn't surprise me to see Tepper and Rhule's fingerprints all over the GM job the past 3 years.