• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

M Kaye Observer HC candidates pros and cons

raleigh-panther

2 hours ago, stratocatter said:

I totally ignored your point, yes. It is not a good point and should be ignored. Or maybe the valid sensible point is in there somewhere but you are missing it. 
Here, I will help you. 

Wilks did not assemble the roster. In fact he was said to have criticized it -to Snow- as being too light to win in the NFL. I am pretty sure I read that here.

But you decide that if Wilks and not Snow is to blame, that it will be the key piece of evidence of Wilks not being qualified that seals the deal, ends the argument, mic drop.  And you are going to bring it in here and be seen as one of the smart crowd. Is that close? You’ll show those Wilkstards . 

If I have it right, the takeaway from people blaming Wilks for the D falling off is: Wilks head coached a D that Snow and Rhule constructed and it is Wilks’ fault they were poor at run stopping and poor at holding the edge, and the secondary (his specialty) fuged up assignments constantly, and and and. 
 Because Wilks is conservative D coach and we want a McVey clone? Can’t get a McVey if Wilks is in the way so let’s take him down? 

How I feel about it?  

I am not worshipping Wilks as the only solution. Or a sure fire solution because nothing is. I definitely have a high opinion of him as a man of integrity and no BS. And a bona fide NFL guy.
But he blitzed more than I wanted when running the D in 17 I guess it was. There were issues this year with the game management and a couple of the game plans. 
I haven’t seen what he would do about OC and the direction of the offense and team in general. So not ending the search without seeing what is out there  

To the conservative defense objections, they’re not hiring him for DC in the first place. We are hiring him (possibly) as HC to lead, to identify and retain. Players and coaches. To place coaching talent in the right job. To captain the ship. This is stuff he has shown he can do reasonably well I think. 

There are undoubtedly people who could beat him out on merit, x and o chops and there always will be. Most of them have not done the job they will come seeking.

Most look great, on paper. And we know just from how things work in this world that some of them will be good, they can make the jump.  Most, probably, will be failures because they can’t use their x and o skill for solving every problem and that is all they have at this point in their careers, 

Last thing about this coaching vacancy: when I have been faced with losing a key contributor in my job, I learned to look at it as an opportunity to improve rather than a hole to try and fill (and a tough hole at that). I want to turn it from a setback into an opportunity. So I am definitely not opposed to shooting for the moon.

That still means, known quantities with known qualities. Not extrapolating untried promise to a hopeful conclusion, but expanding in the ‘known for a fact to be good’ direction. Whether that is Wilks or another ‘known’, that is what I think we need. 

Tepper just does not need to follow one speculative blunder with a second.  He can check a lot of boxes with a Wilks hire for maybe a three year rollover type contract dependent on results. 

I respect what you're saying but there is at least a decent chance Holcomb would be retained as DC because of their history.  The defensive roster was flawed all year.  You blame Snow for that like he built the defense himself but Wilks and Holcomb just inherited it.  The thing that worries me is Snow figured out a way to make it work with its problems.  Holcomb and to some extent Wilks instantly tried to change it and force a square peg into a round hole instead of working with the flawed personnel they had to work with.  You can dance around it all you want but it's a fact.

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Sounds like a potential Wilks staff lol.  Bring back Turner as OC and keep Holcombe as DC...

I really like Wilks he's a great guy. I just do not want to end up back at square one again like we did with Rivera by hiring another DC. And unlike Ron I do not see a Cam Newton in the draft to save the day for Wilks and hitch his wagon to for several years. Give me the offensive mind who can make things work with what limited options they have at QB for the time being and go out and hire an experienced defensive coordinator to hold down that side of the ball. But I want our bread and butter to become scoring points not holding leads. It's been years with that. Time to switch it up.

• Beer 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, Gerry Green said:

What about Scott Turner? He's been around the league his whole life, so he probably has plenty of connections. Maybe he can put together a young staff that can add some much-needed energy to this stogy old place.

I'm a former Scott Turner bandwagon member.

His name has gone cold recently but I agree.

• Beer 1