• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tenures of NFL Coaches and turnover

panther4life

I have been researching coaching staff's looking for coordinator candidates and recently decided to google NFL Coaches by tenure. 

The results are crazy:

Head Coaches

• There is 5 coaches who have made it a decade or more with their team. 
  • Of the 5 who have made it 10+ years, 3 of them are on their 2nd NFL H.C gig. (Belichick, Andy Reid and Pete Carroll)
  • Only 10 coaches, still employed by their team have made it 4 years or more with their current team.
  • 10 current coaches are on their 2nd stint as an NFL H.C
  • Steelers have only had 3 Head Coaches since 69, Chuck Knoll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin
  • Patriots have had 3 Head coaches since 93, Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll and  Belichick

Offensive Coordinators 

• Pete Carmichael is the longest tenured O.C. in the NFL. However he only started calling plays when Payton was suspended, had a broken leg or finally full time this year in Paytons absence
  • Only 2 offensive coordinators have called plays for the same team 2 years in a row and remain employed for the same team. (Matt Canada with Steelers and Steichen with the Eagles)
  • Kellen Moore  and Greg Roman would have been the longest tenured O.C's (since 2019) if the Cowboys and Ravens didn't let them go this year
  • 13 Teams  had vacancies to fill at O.C. this offseason alone
  • Pats hired Bill O'Brien, Jets hired Hackett, Chargers hired Kellen Moore, Cowboys hired Schottenheimer, and Rams hired  Mike LaFleur.
  • Panthers, Colts, Ravens, Titans,Commanders, Bucs, Cardinals, and Texans all still have to hire someone

Defensive Coordinators

• 9 Vacancies to be filled this year vs 13 for offensive coordinators, well 10 if Cardinals let Vance Joseph go.
  • 3 vacancies have been filled, Nielsen to Falcons, Fangio to Phins, and Jim Schwartz to Browns
  • 12 defensive coordinators will be entering the 3rd season or more with the same team

NFL GM's by contrast get a much longer leash. Here's a list of their tenure that was updated last year:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/06/the-nfls-longest-tenured-gms

Off the top of my head I do remember Colbert being with the Steelers since 02 and his retirement led to Khan's promotion. Not sure of any other recently retired long term GM's.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

When people were bitching about Reich not being able to be here for 10 years, I posted stats that broke down the average career length for coaches who have won the super bowl and been in the super bowl and have not made the super bowl.

The range was (going from memory) something like 4+ years for a Super Bowl coach and 3+ years for a non-super bowl coach.

Found it--https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/the-nfl-head-coach-life-span-and-what-it-means-for-zimmer

Other sites say the average length of time for an NFL coach before being removed is 3.2-3.3 years.  Yikes.

• Beer 3

I can’t edit the OP but Steichen has only been calling plays for 1 year. So that makes Matt Canada of the Steelers the only offensive coordinator with play calling duties for 2 seasons with the same team! Factor in Tomlin as a defensive minded head coach and it makes that stat even crazier. 

• Pie 1

It's a job you take with the knowledge that you will get fired, eventually. 

And it is one of the heaviest grind jobs in the world, 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week in season, and probably close to 75% of that in the off season.

How many coaches have we seen go down had really just collapsed under the pressure and the burnout. I'm really astounded their divorce rate isn't astronomically higher than it is.