• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise Tag Season

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

If he gets 45 mil per season, the Giants will be the only one to pay it. They could try the nonexclusive tag. 

As for Carr, I don't know; Jones is young and has already done something Carr never has: win a playoff game. Carr is also 1-9 in games where it's 45 degrees or lower at kickoff. 

I don't think that the Packers will trade A-Rod to an NFC team, or at least that's a prevailing notion.

45 million for Jones is unbelievable, but it could simply be a negotiating tactic.  If I were the Giants I'd try the nonexclusive tag and hope some team makes a deal with Jones, so the Giants end up with two first round picks.  Realistically, I think the Giants tag Jones and end up keeping him when he fails to attract any acceptable offers from other teams. 

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

45 million for Jones is unbelievable, but it could simply be a negotiating tactic.  If I were the Giants I'd try the nonexclusive tag and hope some team makes a deal with Jones, so the Giants end up with two first round picks.  Realistically, I think the Giants tag Jones and end up keeping him when he fails to attract any acceptable offers from other teams. 

They're kind of stuck though, the Giants don't really have a better alternative. Yeah, I guess they could do Tyrod Taylor for a year or two, but he's not really that exciting of an option. They may end up being in QB purgatory (if they really believe that Jones could be the guy)l. 

On 2/22/2023 at 8:39 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Gotta figure there will be some discussion of Bozeman today, but I don't know if this is something that's genuinely possible.

Bozeman has been great here, but that $16.6 million is a huuuuuge hunk of money. He deserves way more than the $2.8 million he got last season if we want to continue with him. 

If we put him somewhere in the top 10 salaries for centers in the NFL, we're looking between roughly $8 million and $12 million per season. And that's going to require some serious cap massaging and converting a lot of the salary into bonuses... which oftentimes end up as dead cap with us.

He's 28, almost 29 by the time the season gets into full swing... could we get enough out of him to roll out a full five year contract and not regret it down the line?