• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Knowing how Fitterer likes to maneuver the draft

byob1013

With 3 picks in the top 100 and only 6 total what type of movement will we see in this years draft, if any?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see more trade downs or up?

• Predominantly Trade up
    • Get more picks and trade down

15 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There’s certainly merit to the “crapshoot” philosophy to drafting, but I tend to prefer quality over quantity and trust the decision makers.  Rarely do the teams known for trading back and stockpiling picks actually turn those picks into better players than they could have taken at their original spot (at least, in my observations). I’d rather have two firsts, two seconds and nothing else in every draft than a pick in every round, heh. I’ll take a quarter over three dimes any day, when it comes to football players. 

That's a fair argument. I agree with you about higher picks although I do think 3rds still have decent value.

If you take the 2021 draft trade when we had the same pick you get a better picture. So throw out the 5th and 6th swap (who cares) and your question becomes is 39 better value than 52 + 83?

Bears receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 39)
  • 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 151)

Panthers receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 52)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 83)
  • 2021 sixth-round pick (No. 204)

• Pie 1

Every teams' top 45 players are different.  If pick 39 rolls around and there are still 8-10 guys left, I hope he moves back a little.

A draft class of 6 would be ideal considering who is already on the roster this year. 

The key is don't fall in love with one particular guy.  Trade back in the second enough to get a 2024 3rd.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Every teams' top 45 players are different.  If pick 39 rolls around and there are still 8-10 guys left, I hope he moves back a little.

A draft class of 6 would be ideal considering who is already on the roster this year. 

The key is don't fall in love with one particular guy.  Trade back in the second enough to get a 2024 3rd.

You get it. If there's multiple options there at 39 a slight move back wont hurt, but if there is a consensus top guy that wasn't expected there you jump on it. I would still like to pick again before 93 or after 145 which is seen as best for what positions and values are available. 

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea, other than DL I’d agree that a potential starter at any of those positions is someone we can’t pass on at 39 (with LB including  edge rushing OLBs).  I’d also add TE, even if they’re not necessarily going to start over Hurst on day one, there’s two or three guys that have really high potential to be exceptional players I would hate to pass on too

I mentioned D-line because our DT's combined for 2 sacks last season. We literally have no legitimate pass rushing threat up the middle. I was thinking a solid 3-technique DT in a 4-3 would be hard to pass on. But, I forgot that we're transitioning to a 3-4 for the 2023 season. So, I agree that an Edge rushing OLB would take priority over DT and DE. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I mentioned D-line because our DT's combined for 2 sacks last season. We literally have no legitimate pass rushing threat up the middle. I was thinking a solid 3-technique DT in a 4-3 would be hard to pass on. But, I forgot that we're transitioning to a 3-4 for the 2023 season. So, I agree that an Edge rushing OLB would take priority over DT and DE. 

Yea, it’s the transition to base 3-4 that makes me think our DL is fine. They’re there to plug holes and Brown & co should be sufficient for that

49 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

That's a fair argument. I agree with you about higher picks although I do think 3rds still have decent value.

If you take the 2021 draft trade when we had the same pick you get a better picture. So throw out the 5th and 6th swap (who cares) and your question becomes is 39 better value than 52 + 83?

Bears receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 39)
  • 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 151)

Panthers receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 52)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 83)
  • 2021 sixth-round pick (No. 204)

Honestly, I’d rather have 39, depending on who is there. If the guys I had my eye on are gone then sure trade back. But I’d be willing to bet there’s someone at 39 that our FO has a first round grade on. 

edit: specifically Mayer, Kincaid or maybe Washington. I haven’t researched the OLBs or CBs really so I don’t know names. Even if there’s a really high potential OG I’d want to take him, often the lower value positions can have really good players available in the upper partner the second round and I’d rather have a stud OG or TE than a rotational YGM style player at a higher value position. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze