• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The question of the day: is Derrick Brown good, elite, or fine?

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

You didn’t say “many times” in the post to which he replied.

You said he was getting blocked by one guy (and I quote) “all the time” which was farcical on its face.

Lol. Dear lord, sorry that I didn’t include percentages. I use stats for Vea, Ngata and got told those don’t really count and that PFF grades can’t be used and now I use general terminology like many and all the time and they are quantitatively different.

This fan base is amazing. A grading service agrees with me that 2021 Brown was below average and 2022 Brown was top 10 but we must be wrong.

Hmm, I came in here because Brown was lacking due to Rhule’s scheme but according to the posts above he has progressed well all three years into a top 10 DT. Damn, Rhule was amazing at developing DTs.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:04 AM, electro's horse said:

How good is Derrick Brown? 

image.png.886901712ba465718d0a61c1fa15f043.png

Going by just simple counting stats, 2022 was by far his best year and he's shown steady improvement. And this is good; number go up. I'm sure there's a way to compare this to other DT in the NFL on a wide scale, but I'm lazy and everything is subscription now. 

image.thumb.png.d9dc39e89f89ba0114686f6a2a082016.png

According to these numbers from PFF, he's about top ten, he just doesn't get to the QB very much, or hasn't yet in his career. 

Brown has overcome a great deal of adversity in his career, most notably from his former coach Matt Rhule. Recall Rhule benched him because the team struggled against the run one game and blamed it on him. 

He admittedly had a rough transition to the NFL, but he didn't come into a great situation. Rhule was obviously a clown, and that 2020 was going to be in a lot of situations where teams were just running out the clock. And I can't find the article but he was jerked around at what technique he was going to play as well. 

But Brown was obviously better on the field this year. He made SEVERAL eye opening plays, and if nothing else showed that he's not taking anything off. 

Most interesting for me is that apparently Brown was mentioned in the trade negotiations with the Bears..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10071041-nfl-rumors-bears-also-eyed-brian-burns-derrick-brown-in-panthers-trade-for-top-pick

Now I don't know if that was in exchange for Moore, or as an add on, and make all the jokes you want about the Bears front office, but it's interesting that we (apparently) said no. 

And now we've picked up his fifth year option. 

Brown gets a lot of poo because he didn't immediately come into the NFL and dominate, with some people ludicrously stating unless someone is Aaron Donald you don't spend a first round pick on DT. Obviously we'd all spend a first on Fletcher Cox, Big Jeff, Vita Vea etc. But by his own admission he didn't play well when he got here. 

But he's playing well now, and has gotten better every year. And the new coaching staff apparently values him. 

So what say you? Is he fine? Just a space eater DT who'll walk after his fifth year and end up as a rotational dlineman in like Dallas?

Is he good? Will he become the Shaq or Donte Jackson of the defensive line, where he's always kinda overpaid and just good enough not to get rid of?

Or is he actually going to be elite? Did hurn dog do it one last time? Is he going to blow up with competent coaching behind him for the first time in his career?

image.png

image.png

Yes