• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking ahead (staff speculation)

Mr. Scot

18 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Definitely.  There was a lot of speculation in New England, almost an expectation, that he would retire a couple of years ago. 

I thought maybe he was grooming McDaniels to be his successor.  Either McDaniels got impatient (bad move on his part given his shortcomings), Hoodie rethought that, or he has no definite plan on when he will step aside.  

It might have been because he got screwed over.

McDaniels was set to get some head coaching interviews (including one with us) but Belichick reportedly made him stay behind to do some end of season work that probably wasn't really all that necessary. In the meantime, we hired Rhule without even interviewing McDaniels. As I recall, other hires happened quickly as well.

(Bill's always been a Machiavellian type, so that's not really hard to believe)

I know there was speculation at the time that Belichick had deliberately delayed him to keep him from going elsewhere. Up to that point, most believed that McDaniels would succeed Belichick, but then that changed.

That could still happen I suppose, but not if there's hard feelings.

Edited by Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, jtm said:

I don't think we'll lose many coaches that are performing because I think Tepper will just pay them to stay.  

There are limits to that, though. Like for one, you're not going to pay an assistant more than your head coach.

Plus sometimes it's genuinely not about the money. For some guys, being a head coach Is their ultimate dream.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It might have been because he got screwed over.

McDaniels was set to get some head coaching interviews (including one with us) but Belichick reportedly made him stay behind to do some end of season work that probably wasn't really all that necessary. In the meantime, we hired Rhule without even interviewing McDaniels. As I recall, other hires happened quickly as well.

(Bill's always been a Machiavellian type, so that's not really hard to believe)

I know there was speculation at the time that Belichick had deliberately delayed him to keep him from going elsewhere. Up to that point, most believed that McDaniels would succeed Belichick, but then that changed.

That could still happen I suppose, but not if there's hard feelings.

I could believe that about Hoodie.  As a bit of irony, if it is true he probably inadvertently saved McDaniels from himself.  Since starting 6-0 at Denver in his first year, the guy is 11-28.  That's Rhule territory. 

If there are hard feelings, that situation would be like watching a western and when the gunfight breaks out in front of the saloon, coming to the realization you want both combatants to bite the dust.