• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should Panthers keep all 3 current tight ends?

KatsAzz

Rosario should be a WR anyway lol. see that crazy catch in the Patriots game? also the Dallas game's 'one and only TD, @Chargers clutch 4th down catch.. etc..

but yeah, there's a lot of plays i have seen Barnidge just get shoved into the dirt. he's been a great playmaker this past season when given the chance though.

I think that you could make a case that Barnidge is our best all around tight end. He is a better blocker than Rosario and a better receiver than King at this point. He is quicker than both and has improved every year. He is an asset in the passing and running game.

King's blocking > Barnidge's everything

King's blocking > Barnidge's everything

Don't get me wrong because I like King and am happy he playing for us. Barnidge has some wicked hands. I think he is a much better receiver but since we are a running team I would prefer King as our starter. Well until Barnidge becomes a better blocker.

Go Panthers

It is sad that the tight end position has produced such dismal receving results over the past 7 or 8 years that we would prefer a TE than can block well to a guy that can do both decently.

It is sad that the tight end position has produced such dismal receving results over the past 7 or 8 years that we would prefer a TE than can block well to a guy that can do both decently.

King does both well. You can't blame the yardage on the TE. The QB and OC have more to do with their number being called than anything. We are a run 1st team. So our TE aren't going to have numbers like INDY and other teams that throw alot.

I would love for Barnidge to become that good. His height makes him a dangerous target but, if you bring him in on passing downs only you are giving away part of what you are doing.

We got spoiled with W. Walls. He is hard to replace. Barnidge has the hands but has to become a good blocker so he can be in there most of the time.

Go Panthers

King, Rosario, & Barnidge had 63 receptions for 755 yards and 8 tds which is as productive as a typical Walls season. Not bad considering how many touches Smith & the RB tandem get.

I don't see them touching this group and they don't need to.

King does both well. You can't blame the yardage on the TE. The QB and OC have more to do with their number being called than anything. We are a run 1st team. So our TE aren't going to have numbers like INDY and other teams that throw alot.

I would love for Barnidge to become that good. His height makes him a dangerous target but, if you bring him in on passing downs only you are giving away part of what you are doing.

We got spoiled with W. Walls. He is hard to replace. Barnidge has the hands but has to become a good blocker so he can be in there most of the time.

Go Panthers

I wouldn't call King a good receiver. He can catch the ballfairly well but has poor speed, gets no seperation and can't run after the catch. There were several occassions where he caught the ball short of the first down and was immediately brought down. He can't extend the field or take advatage of mismatches. He typically run a curl route or sets up 5 -7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and can shield the defender decently

but that is all.

As for Barnidge his blocking skiils are better than he gets credit. Plus he is a real asset in special teams and makes plays.

King, Rosario, & Barnidge had 63 receptions for 755 yards and 8 tds which is as productive as a typical Walls season. Not bad considering how many touches Smith & the RB tandem get.

I don't see them touching this group and they don't need to.

Sad when it takes 3 guys to replace one good tight end. Honeslty if given the chance I see Barnidge as capable of getting that many yards alone if

used properly. He averaged 22 yards a catch.

Sad when it takes 3 guys to replace one good tight end. Honeslty if given the chance I see Barnidge as capable of getting that many yards alone if

used properly. He averaged 22 yards a catch.

I don't really follow you. With as much as they run, and as much as they go to Smith there really aren't that many balls left. Why does it matter how the numbers are distributed among them givent that the position is nearly as productive as it was when we had the pro bowler? Back then the other TE's had like and handful of catches combined in a year.

I don't really follow you. With as much as they run, and as much as they go to Smith there really aren't that many balls left. Why does it matter how the numbers are distributed among them givent that the position is nearly as productive as it was when we had the pro bowler? Back then the other TE's had like and handful of catches combined in a year.

Barnidge has the potential to be a Dallas Clark, Jason Whitten kind of guy who actually becomes a third down threat and can split the seam and go down the field much like Walls did. Rosario has the ability to catch the ball but his blocking is awful. King can block but hardly is a deep receiving threat.

Having a deep threat at TE is important is because it may take a linebacker short and a safety over the top to blanket him if he was a threat like Witten. That means with the strong safety out of the box, and the linebacker drifting deeper, it opens up a possible run or screen and can actually help Smitty not draw double teams all day if we use a 3 receiver set and put Barnidge at TE.

All catches and yards aren't equal. A tight end like a Dallas Clark or Jason Whitten are worth more than 3 blocking TEs.

Archived