• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nfl ot

FreeDrinkMafia

The half a quarter OT seems like a good idea, but the game goes into double OT the sudden death should take affect but the winning team should be required to score at least six points (1 TD or 2 FGs) which if one team kicks a FG the other team still has the opportunity to win

The half a quarter OT seems like a good idea, but the game goes into double OT the sudden death should take affect but the winning team should be required to score at least six points (1 TD or 2 FGs) which if one team kicks a FG the other team still has the opportunity to win

i like this suggestion. just do that with the standard OT

How about the current OT but require 6 points as you say?

EDIT: McNasty said it before me.

the best OT scenario would be this.

Play an entire 15 min OT quarter. The first team to have a lead of greater than six points, or the first team to gain 100 total yards in the OT period, whichever comes first. If none of those happen after the 15 min period, then the team with the most 1st downs (+/-) the net difference in the amount of penalties. For example, if team A has 5 first downs and team B has 7, but team A has 1 penalty and team B has 4, team A would have a score of 4 compared to team B's score of 3. If the net difference is tied, you take the average weight of your entire team, including the coaching staff, and whichever team has a lower avg weight would be declared the winner. If that is tied, you would take the avg attendance for each team over the past 3 games, and declare the winner based on that.

This is the most uncomplicated most straight forward way to do it in my opinion.

the best OT scenario would be this.

Play an entire 15 min OT quarter. The first team to have a lead of greater than six points, or the first team to gain 100 total yards in the OT period, whichever comes first. If none of those happen after the 15 min period, then the team with the most 1st downs (+/-) the net difference in the amount of penalties. For example, if team A has 5 first downs and team B has 7, but team A has 1 penalty and team B has 4, team A would have a score of 4 compared to team B's score of 3. If the net difference is tied, you take the average weight of your entire team, including the coaching staff, and whichever team has a lower avg weight would be declared the winner. If that is tied, you would take the avg attendance for each team over the past 3 games, and declare the winner based on that.

This is the most uncomplicated most straight forward way to do it in my opinion.

Lol I see what you did there.......sarcasm! :hurray:

Believe it or not it would ruin what made this game so great.

I was a big BALTIMORE Colts fan when I was young and before our beloved Panthers. One of the 1st things I knew about football was the 1958 Championship game with the Colts fighting it out with NY Giants. (My family has a 78 speed record of the recording of the game). The 1st team to score, made it do or die. This was the 1st televised championship game. This game put football on the map. The sudden death overtime win with Unitas driving the Colts to victory is arguable the greatest game ever played. By far the most important one.

The sad fact that a ref had a hand in the outcome is outrageous. You have to leave it the way it is. Tradition. Get the refs out of the way and let the players decide.

The NFL should move to an OT like they play in soccer.

An extra 5 min period is not long enough. However, I think a full 15 min is a little too long.

I would vote for an extra 10 minute period to decide the game. If it is still tied....well, that is where I am not sure.

Hell, have them start kicking FG's from 35 yds......like penalty kicks. Go until one team misses.

I don't mind sudden death but you shouldn't be able to win by field goal in overtime. It's bullsh*t and lets the refs decide too much of the game.

I agree with you there. With Football being played in Domes more and more. Most Kickers are good from atleast 50 yards. The better ones even more. That means all you have to do is drive 40 yards or less to win.

The NFL should move to an OT like they play in soccer.

An extra 5 min period is not long enough. However, I think a full 15 min is a little too long.

I would vote for an extra 10 minute period to decide the game. If it is still tied....well, that is where I am not sure.

Hell, have them start kicking FG's from 35 yds......like penalty kicks. Go until one team misses.

Ochocinco would approve of this idea.

Archived