• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT: No tag for Pep

Boltergeist

I want to know if a team can remove the tag? I am thinking they can, but not sure with what kind of timeline. Can the Panthers tag Peppers, and then if nothing progresses then remove it?

Second pen hits the paper and it's signed I'm pretty sure it's a binding contract. Could be wrong, though.

......I do agree with Sam Mills Fan though. Back in the 07 offseason, myself and AKPantherFan were two of only a few that were calling for Peppers to be traded. I know I was told I was an idiot and that trading Peppers would be the dumbest move ever made by the Panthers. If only the Panthers would have traded him then they would be in so much better shape then they are now...

I was all over that also mountain. Despite how good Peppers was in the second half of '06 I noticed teams weren't doubling him as much, etc. I remember thinking despite all the potential and times he played great that the Panthers should trade him for picks. Back then they could have gotten a good deal. In the long run the team could have been better off. Well that didnt happen, we got the '07 Pep, '08 and now this.

I want to know if a team can remove the tag? I am thinking they can, but not sure with what kind of timeline. Can the Panthers tag Peppers, and then if nothing progresses then remove it?

I think the answer is 'yes'. We can cut him and not get any penalty, because none of the contract is guaranteed, it's 100% salary. At least that's how it is on madden. And madden is very accurate as far as the cap is concerned.

I think the answer is 'yes'. We can cut him and not get any penalty, because none of the contract is guaranteed, it's 100% salary. At least that's how it is on madden. And madden is very accurate as far as the cap is concerned.

They can remove the tag without having to pay him as long as he doesn't sign the tender. Once he signs it the money is gaurenteed. They wouldn't have to worry about cap penalties if they cut him but they would still owe him $21 million.

They can remove the tag without having to pay him as long as he doesn't sign the tender. Once he signs it the money is gaurenteed. They wouldn't have to worry about cap penalties if they cut him but they would still owe him $21 million.

That is how I thought it would work. What I keep tossing around in my head is it worth the risk for the Panthers to tag him again and if so then 1) Pep doesnt sign the tender and this year is able to work out a trade that makes everybody happy. 2) Pep signs the tender and the Panthers have him one more season with that huge contractd 3) Pep signs the tender and MAYBE they can find a team that is willing to trade the Panthers something for him, and yes ok with the huge salary. It is possible. Peppers might be concerned enough with the possiblity of #3 that he does either a better job of making sure #1 happens, or decides to work a long term deal with the Panthers. (not that I prefer that).

In any way this whole thing will play itself out.

That is how I thought it would work. What I keep tossing around in my head is it worth the risk for the Panthers to tag him again and if so then 1) Pep doesnt sign the tender and this year is able to work out a trade that makes everybody happy. 2) Pep signs the tender and the Panthers have him one more season with that huge contractd 3) Pep signs the tender and MAYBE they can find a team that is willing to trade the Panthers something for him, and yes ok with the huge salary. It is possible. Peppers might be concerned enough with the possiblity of #3 that he does either a better job of making sure #1 happens, or decides to work a long term deal with the Panthers. (not that I prefer that).

In any way this whole thing will play itself out.

The only problem with that is that the Panthers can not have contact with teams about a trade until Peppers signs the tender. So up until that point it would be up to his agent to work a trade out without the Panthers involment which is never going to happen.

I truely believe that Peppers wanted to get tagged last year and did not want to be traded. He wanted the money that came with the tag and then like many other players thought that this offseason with the uncapped year was going to be the huge payday. But now he and many others are finding out the exact opposite and now he is having to change his approach which the Panthers are not falling for.

If Peppers wants to play for the Raiders or the Bills he will make more money then what the Panthers are offering. Otherwise, his best bet will be to sign long term with the Panthers and it will be for a lot less than what he had been offered in the past by the Panthers.

The only problem with that is that the Panthers can not have contact with teams about a trade until Peppers signs the tender. So up until that point it would be up to his agent to work a trade out without the Panthers involment which is never going to happen.

I truely believe that Peppers wanted to get tagged last year and did not want to be traded. He wanted the money that came with the tag and then like many other players thought that this offseason with the uncapped year was going to be the huge payday. But now he and many others are finding out the exact opposite and now he is having to change his approach which the Panthers are not falling for.

If Peppers wants to play for the Raiders or the Bills he will make more money then what the Panthers are offering. Otherwise, his best bet will be to sign long term with the Panthers and it will be for a lot less than what he had been offered in the past by the Panthers.

That is all where the tough decision and risk all comes in. Tagging Peppers makes sense but with a risk. I know the Panthers cant work out deal, so if Pep is scared enough the Panthers would trade him (Panthers risk not being able to find one after Pep signs the tender). I think to last season when the Raider got Seymour so late. If Pep screws around again and sign the tender even late - maybe the Panthers still find a trade partner - there is the risk and unknown.

I dont know enough to think some team ie Raiders, Bills, Skins would or wouldnt trade something for Pep even if he does sign the tender so late. If so, tag him and let him either play his cards by working out a deal on his own, sign a long term deal with the Panthers, or get traded to some poo team :-)

Now if Hurney/Fox think there is no way they would be able to trade him once he signs the tender or the other scenorio's wont happen then they do just have to let him walk.

That is all where the tough decision and risk all comes in. Tagging Peppers makes sense but with a risk. I know the Panthers cant work out deal, so if Pep is scared enough the Panthers would trade him (Panthers risk not being able to find one after Pep signs the tender). I think to last season when the Raider got Seymour so late. If Pep screws around again and sign the tender even late - maybe the Panthers still find a trade partner - there is the risk and unknown.

I dont know enough to think some team ie Raiders, Bills, Skins would or wouldnt trade something for Pep even if he does sign the tender so late. If so, tag him and let him either play his cards by working out a deal on his own, sign a long term deal with the Panthers, or get traded to some poo team :-)

Now if Hurney/Fox think there is no way they would be able to trade him once he signs the tender or the other scenorio's wont happen then they do just have to let him walk.

And this might be one of those situations where Hurney/Fox are willing to take that gamble because it's not their $21 million they are gambling with. But JR may not be and he will have the final say. Thats why I think they will let him get to FA and then try to sign him.

So after his worse season of 2.5 sacks, finished on injured reserve, all you know-it-alls back in 07 were shouting "let's trade Peppers, we can get something great with all those question marks." Hmmm, sure you did.

I'm not going to say who all did or didn't but I know for a fact that AK and I were calling for a trade. Anyone else I don't know about.

And for the record, back then I thought we might get a first for him but that wasn't a sure bet. The reason that I was calling for a trade was to get something for him and not pay him the contract everyone was talking about him getting at the time. It's only in hindsight that we learned that his trade value was higher then, yes even with all of those question marks, then it is now due to the situation of the tag and salary. So I'm not claiming I saw all of this coming, only that I thought trading him was a good idea in 07.

Hey since you have great hindsight, maybe your foresight is equally as accurate. I have $2,500 laying around, any suggestions where to invest it?

I don't make six figures for my foresight though like Marty Hurney does. There's no excuse for us being in this mess. One player shouldn't be able to hijack your team two offseasons in a row. This mess lays solely at the feet of Marty Hurney.

I don't make six figures for my foresight though like Marty Hurney does. There's no excuse for us being in this mess. One player shouldn't be able to hijack your team two offseasons in a row. This mess lays solely at the feet of Marty Hurney.

WHo is hijiacking what. Drew Brees and Albert Haynsworth are 2 big names in the past few years who left as free agents with no compensation. It is pretty common unless the player works with you on a trade or you are willing to get rid of them while they are still under contract. The 20% yearly increase plus being one of the five highest at your position to begin with when you tag a player is designed to do exactly what is happening. Stopping a team from franchising a player every year. I would say we are doing just the opposite of being hijacked. We are tired of the drama and getting off the crazy train.

WHo is hijiacking what. Drew Brees and Albert Haynsworth are 2 big names in the past few years who left as free agents with no compensation. It is pretty common unless the player works with you on a trade or you are willing to get rid of them while they are still under contract. The 20% yearly increase plus being one of the five highest at your position to begin with when you tag a player is designed to do exactly what is happening. Stopping a team from franchising a player every year. I would say we are doing just the opposite of being hijacked. We are tired of the drama and getting off the crazy train.

Brees was a few years ago during a capped year, and the Chargers already had a player that was comparable in talent to Brees(Rivers.)

Haynesworth had a clause in his contract with the Titans that said they could not franchise tag him for the 2nd time, which was why he 'walked without compensation"

The past is not relevant because this was all during the capped era of NFL. There is no reason we should let Peppers walk without trying to get something out of him, and if we can't, oh well, we'll just keep him on for one last year.

Archived