• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to attack the QB w/o Peppers

CanadianCat

unless Brown is getting on roids or HGH this offseason....people will run right at him. He is a 3rd down DE imo......

I think people put to much on this "Meeks likes tiny DEs" thought process. I think Meeks likes good DEs.

Not that we have a good FO, but I'd hope they wouldn't blow a first on a 1 down DE.

Not that we have a good FO, but I'd hope they wouldn't blow a first on a 1 down DE.

don't get me wrong, I like Brown.

I think he was a reach of a team desperate for a pass rusher at the time. I don't see him being a legit every down DE anytime soon. Hopefully, I am wrong....but he just ain't big enough or strong enough from what he showed to be able to hold up on early downs and not be picked at if in.

IF we dont get anyone in FA or in the draft

Starting:

RDE: Charles Johnson

LDE: Tyler Brayton

Passing downs:

RDE: Everette Brown

LDE: Charles Johnson

(with the option of Brayton sliding inside)

then add that average cast with our large cluster of average DTs.....and you have yourself a average DL on a team that requires a an above average one w/ playmakers.

Put Johnson in as the starter instead of Brayton. As much as I like Brayton I think Johnson would fit meeks scheme better. Also I bet, at least early on, we see the LBers blitzing more.

Actually, I want to see Brayton & Johnson together. I seen them together before & they look pretty good. I think Johnson is going to step up big time & show he is the real deal with how Pep is gone. Brown too if he build up some more muscles like he mention he is going to do before TC start.

He was watching Jared Allen highlights?

Ha ha!!!! Good one. :lol:

then add that average cast with our large cluster of average DTs.....and you have yourself a average DL on a team that requires a an above average one w/ playmakers.

Gone are the days of Peppers/Rucker/Jenkins/Buckner. This line may surprise people but unless someone is added this line is very average at best looking in. Hopefully we have some guys on the team ready to prove the critics wrong.

Here's how you get good pressure on the QB...

Get a secondary that poses a credible single-man-coverage threat.

This leaves the LBs to either punch through gaps in the O-line, or help the DEs (or even DTs) get around blockers.

Our defense, for years has had inconsistent Corner and Safety play (Ken Lucas anyone?). And yet, we have done little to address this.

We need a ball shark like Troy Polamalu (look what happened to the Steelers when he went down this year) or Ed Reed (actually we need a couple).

Charles Godfrey and Chris Harris are OK players... but that's just it... they are OK. Sherrod Martin is a rook, and so's Capt'n. And while they did OK for being Rooks, who knows how they will play down the road. Gamble... ah Gamble... are you for real or not? I wish you'd make up your mind.

In any event, these guys don't create a Champion level Secondary. Without a better secondary, we are going to continue to get dinked and doinked to death because we won't have TIME to get to the QB (like what happened to Indy in the Superbowl).

"And with the Panthers 3rd round pick they select Austen Lane DE Murray State"

Wouldn't miss Pep as much then. Big loss but one that isn't as big of a deal as the media is bound to blow it up as. He was a freak but his inconsitency kept him constantly in the dog house. You would get 4 or 5 games out of the year that we were like WOW. Then he would disappear.

I think CJ is more consistent and it will not be as big of a drop off as most are making it out to be. Bring in a FA or 2 to compete add a draft pick or 2 and we are set.

Archived