• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm making maple syrup

LinvilleGorge

I just like to do poo just to see if I can. Bonus points for when folks are telling me I can't. You can't make maple syrup in NC they said! I say bullshit knowing full well that the reason Sugar Mountain earned its name is because it used to be a favorite place for collecting maple sap. It's fun to create stuff. Be outside. Appreciate how past generations lived and not just learn about it yourself but teach it to the next generation.

Anyway, I have quite a few maples on my property so I figured why not? Let's give it a shot. I tapped one tree Friday morning just to see if they were running yet. Collected about half a gallon of sap and just boiled it down in the kitchen today. It was delicious! So I tapped 20 more trees today. We'll see how it all turns out.

PXL_20240121_195048629.thumb.jpg.e17982000acf98f0ae0113801688cc16.jpg

PXL_20240119_214759340.thumb.jpg.5ca1045948f3a8f55e8434c123976c52.jpg

PXL_20240121_210724137_MP.thumb.jpg.a58dc4d0f37a214013121f31e168ae05.jpg

PXL_20240121_220730088_MP.thumb.jpg.3bf178e6205aad2bfc93fea058637db4.jpg

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Watch out for the maple syrup mafia coming down from the northeast to run you out of business😮

I don't think I'll be much of a threat. I'm hoping to get maybe a gallon total. Just enough for ourselves and to maybe give a few bottles to friends and family.

• Pie 1

• 2 months later...

I never followed up on this.

I ended up with about a gallon of deliciousness. I'm going to tap earlier this coming winter. I got the majority of my sap in the one major cold snap we had shortly after I tapped. I'm gonna tap right before the first forecasted cold snap this weekend. I talked to a friend of a friend who runs a legit maple sugar operation up in Wisconsin and he said there's no downside to tapping early and in an area that doesn't really hard freeze in the winter that's what he'd do if tapping recreationally.