• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New coach Dave Canales on Culture

Make no mistake, there is a problem(among others) in the Carolina locker room, and it's morale. Morale is at an all-time low, and you could see it in their eyes when you saw sideline shots, that players are kinda getting used to this circus, embracing apathy because really we haven't had the consistency or the right head coach to teach them otherwise. I've been very impressed in my deep dives finding interviews by how he commands a room and is able to articulate any question with ease, and I really hope that same positive attitude will land here as well. Cuz a team that believes in themselves and each other is a dangerous team.

This has only 382 views as of this post so I know most fans probably haven't come across it yet, so thought I'd post it here to give us a glimmer of what will hopefully turn this thing around.

He even address this positivity culture at 3:36 as the interviewer asks him that that can be perceived as weakness, and he had a great answer for that too.

Here's part 2

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

Morale may be a problem, but I think a MUCH larger problem throughout Rhule's and Reich's tenures has been the absolute lack of leadership. 

Rhule really screwed up when he let Olsen, Cam and Luke walk out the door, not because their of their skillset, but the leadership they provided. There hasn't been a leader in that locker room since then. 

The coach can provide some leadership, but you also need the players to provide their own. Who is going to hold their feet to the fire when the coaches aren't always around? 

Until that problem is addressed, I don't think the Panthers move forward. 

Now, it's possible Derrick Brown steps up. I could certainly see that happening. And maybe Bryce will, once he establishes himself a bit more, but I don't see any other obvious candidates.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

Morale may be a problem, but I think a MUCH larger problem throughout Rhule's and Reich's tenures has been the absolute lack of leadership. 

Rhule really screwed up when he let Olsen, Cam and Luke walk out the door, not because their of their skillset, but the leadership they provided. There hasn't been a leader in that locker room since then. 

The coach can provide some leadership, but you also need the players to provide their own. Who is going to hold their feet to the fire when the coaches aren't always around? 

Now, it's possible Derrick Brown steps up. I could certainly see that happening. And maybe Bryce will, once he establishes himself a bit more, but I don't see any other obvious candidates.

Another reason why I'd like to resign Luvu. Shaq also (if he's willing to play under the same type of contract as last year) 

Chubba as well. Anyone thinking otherwise obviously didn't watch his mic'd up segment. I wouldn't break the bank 4 em but I'd definitely try to keep him on the roster in some capacity.  

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

I hear ya, I feel the same way too, it's all been an issue. I think Canales has those tools after being with Carroll for over 10 years, and just his demeanor in his interviews and press conferences, I'll just say I'm cautiously optimistic. The fact is we weren't gonna make a splash in this coaching cycle, given how the last 3 years have gone, so finding someone thats younger that isn't daunted by the project he has in front of him is what we needed, instead of like Reich who treated us as an auto-pilot team.

• Pie 2