• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How about Steve Wilkes?

WarHeel

5 minutes ago, Butterflyj30 said:

I don't think Wilks lost the game if the extra kick hadn't been blocked they would have won

Can't say that for certain, though.

The Chiefs being down 4 would have meant they'd have had to go for it on fourth down rather than kicking which still could have resulted in a touchdown.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I stand firm on the title. That loss had little to do with Wilkes and much more to do with special teams blunders. Also of note, Chiefs went multiple quarters without a penalty. Go figure. 

Don't know that I'd go that far.

I give Wilks credit for calling a good game overall but in the end it wasn't quite good enough.

13 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Honestly Wilks called a better game than Shannahan. Kyle abandoned the run, for who knows what reason and the offense with the turn overs was just not helping. Also the special teams giving mahomes that short yardage TD...I mean Wilks adjusted but it was too much in the end. Too many bad turn overs that they couldn't stop the bleeding. But that ending was just bleh..

HOnestly I don't blame Wilks, there were some questionable calls on him, like rushing/blitzing when the 4 man rush was actually working and no spy on Mahomes really did them in.

Bingo.

Shanahan tried to ride Purdy up 10-0 and forgot CMC existed until he got down. Why? Was it the early fumble? Was he trying to prove a point that he could win with Purdy leading the way? Did he just get cocky and cute up 10? I don't know. I just know he poo the bed with a lead in the Super Bowl (again). 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bingo.

Shanahan tried to ride Purdy up 10-0 and forgot CMC existed until he got down. Why? Was it the early fumble? Was he trying to prove a point that he could win with Purdy leading the way? Did he just get cocky and cute up 10? I don't know. I just know he poo the bed with a lead in the Super Bowl (again). 

Shanahan definitely could have done better.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Why? Because special teams handed the Chiefs a TD and missed an extra point that would have prevented OT? Get the hell out of here.

Because the Chiefs made adjustments and marched down the field their final 2 possessions. One settled for a FG due to time and the next was the game winner. Mahomes also had 400 total yards. So yeah… 

So this defense has as good or better front 4 than we've ever had, thats saying something.

Hargrave was a pro bowler last year. Young when health, is a monster as a pass rusher. armsted is a great DL as well. then there is bosa, who needs no introduction

they also have a good/great LB group with warner and greenlaw. 

when you give steve that type of talent, he produces. 

that said, the defense the 2 playoff games before this, ew yuck no.

• Pie 1

Just now, chbright said:

So this defense has as good or better front 4 than we've ever had, thats saying something.

Hargrave was a pro bowler last year. Young when health, is a monster as a pass rusher. armsted is a great DL as well. then there is bosa, who needs no introduction

they also have a good/great LB group with warner and greenlaw. 

when you give steve that type of talent, he produces. 

that said, the defense the 2 playoff games before this, ew yuck no.

The Niners D started struggling when their DL started wearing down over the course of the game. Yeah, they have great defensive talent. And they held the Chiefs to 19 points over 4 quarters.

They didn't lose that game because of their D. If I told you before kickoff that the Chiefs only scored 19 points through 4 quarters everyone would've called that a win for the Niners since the Niners average nearly 29 per game. The Niners didn't score enough points to win.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Niners D started struggling when their DL started wearing down over the course of the game. Yeah, they have great defensive talent. And they held the Chiefs to 19 points over 4 quarters.

They didn't lose that game because of their D. If I told you before kickoff that the Chiefs only scored 19 points through 4 quarters everyone would've called that a win for the Niners since the Niners average nearly 29 per game. The Niners didn't score enough points to win.

Chiefs defense played great and has all playoffs. You could argue they’re DC did more with less. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

it wasnt on wilks tonight. shanny again got cute. part of the wild thing with shanny: he refused to mix it up with the running backs. they had the chiefs on skates alot and didnt just keep pounding it. brock made a some good throws, though he missed some easy ones that cost them TOP and stopped drives.

really the end of the 3rd and 4th, KC finally found ways to get the ball moving. Steve did his part for 60 minutes. now the last drive in OT,  steve screwed the pooch. he basically accepted them walking down the field with that soft poo where a stop ends it. played for allowing a FG and got burned. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Chiefs defense played great and has all playoffs. You could argue they’re DC did more with less. 

correct. thats also a really young group to.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Spagnuolo is one of the best.

also correct. he is top 3 right now. for him, he never really clicked as a HC.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

And honestly that'd be a fair argument. Spags is a great DC.

I just put more of this L on Shanny than I do Wilks. 

The Chiefs were averaging 23.8ppg in the playoffs. The Niners D held them to 19 in regulation. The Niners were averaging 26.7ppg in the playoffs. They scored 19 in regulation. That pretty much says it all.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, chbright said:

it wasnt on wilks tonight. shanny again got cute. part of the wild thing with shanny: he refused to mix it up with the running backs. they had the chiefs on skates alot and didnt just keep pounding it. brock made a some good throws, though he missed some easy ones that cost them TOP and stopped drives.

really the end of the 3rd and 4th, KC finally found ways to get the ball moving. Steve did his part for 60 minutes. now the last drive in OT,  steve screwed the pooch. he basically accepted them walking down the field with that soft poo where a stop ends it. played for allowing a FG and got burned. 

Defensive coaches tend to always have that flaw. When the chips are down seems like they always wanna play bend but don't break.