• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Browns GM Holmgren defends decision to sign Delhomme

The Saltman

“My own belief is this team needs an aging veteran,” Holmgren said in response to a question about Delhomme’s age, according to the Browns website. “They need a guy who’s going to grab everybody by the throat and say follow me through that door. That’s what we need. I don’t look at him as an aging veteran. I look at his as the leader I wanted in the locker room, if in fact he’s the starter. This is not a stop gap. We want him as a quarterback to win games for us, not to manage the game and all that stuff.

http://reederstake.freedomblogging.com/2010/03/16/browns-gm-holmgren-defends-decision-to-defend-delhomme/4553/

From Steve Reed (link)

“My own belief is this team needs an aging veteran,” Holmgren said in response to a question about Delhomme’s age, according to the Browns website. “They need a guy who’s going to grab everybody by the throat and say follow me through that door. That’s what we need. I don’t look at him as an aging veteran. I look at him as the leader I wanted in the locker room, if in fact he’s the starter. This is not a stop gap. We want him as a quarterback to win games for us, not to manage the game and all that stuff.

“We knew we were going to make changes to the quarterback and add some people to the pile. I don’t think he expected to be released. It was a little bit of a surprise and it was a surprise to me.”

Browns coach Eric Mangini, who coached in New England back in 2003 when the Patriots defeated the Panthers in the Super Bowl, said Delhomme left an impression on him that year.

“I’ve known Jake a long time,” said Mangini. “I was the DB (defensive backs) coach for that Super Bowl against Carolina. We felt pretty good going into that first half, one of the lowest scoring Super Bowls and that last 30 minutes was part of the worst coaching experience I’ve had, the way he lit us up.”

As for Delhomme’s struggles last year, Holmgren said, “Jake’s had a really fine career and a really bad last year; so did I. I had a pretty good career as a coach and then I had a really bad last year. Thank the Lord (Browns owner) Randy (Lerner) gave me this job anyway. I think there are reasons and we talked about why that happened.

“Over time, he’s been a proven winner,” said Mangini. “He’s been a consistent winner. His completion percentage over the years, that’s been consistent. I don’t think it’s uncommon for a guy to have a bad year, but when you look at his body of work last year…there were a lot of good throws on that tape too and there were a lot of winning throws on that tape as well.”

Holmgren and Mangini are having to defend the decision somewhat because, per Reed, Browns fans aren't much more enthusiastic than Panther fans where Jake is concerned. Seems as though Holmgren believes Jake can follow Kurt Warner's lead and bounce back.

I wish him luck (though not against us).

My own belief is this team needs an aging veteran,” Holmgren said in response to a question about Delhomme’s age, according to the Browns website. “They need a guy who’s going to grab everybody by the throat and say follow me through that door. That’s what we need. I don’t look at him as an aging veteran. I look at his as the leader I wanted in the locker room, if in fact he’s the starter. This is not a stop gap. We want him as a quarterback to win games for us, not to manage the game and all that stuff.

Wait...what?

I get what he is saying though. Jake was brought in to be a leader and motivation to the team. Too bad Holmgren used the SAME old tired excuse for Delhomme's play.

It's not an excuse. Holmgren's not in a position to have to make excuses (not yet, anyway).

He really believes it. If he didn't, they wouldn't have signed him to the contract they did.

Never know. He could be right.

(I don't think he is, but then I'm not a successful NFL head coach and QB guru, am I?)

Yeah, I read this earlier. I still think it's a smart move. The Browns are exactly the sort of team that need the kind of leadership a Delhomme can provide. And if he still can't get it together, you let Wallace, Ratliff, or a drafted quarterback have a shot.

Neither Quinn nor Anderson was exactly great leadership material.

If that is what they need most, they got the right guy. I'm still a skeptic, though.

Archived