• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need to add another RB or not?

Jmac

I've really gone over this again and again in my mind. We need one, we don't, we do, we don't. And finally I'v come to the point where I'm convinced we shouldn't.

Chuba did fairly well with us last season, not great, but serviceable and he's shown increasingly better results each season. Right now I'd be okay if we went into the season with him as a starter and here's why.

There are a ton of big name Free Agent RBs out there at the moment. A couple will strike it big with new teams on the field, almost all will get some kind of $8 - $11 million a year deal. We don't need another one of them on the team right now, we can't afford it. We already have a big contract running back on the team and well, let's be honest, we got taken to the cleaners on it. He flat out sucked. Hate to criticize anyone that heavily but he underperformed like no one else.

We were assured he was the guy and honestly, I don't think we've changed our scouting department personnel enough to make sure that we won't make that mistake again. And we're going to be paying for Miles Sanders for a while. Let's not saddle ourselves with a second big RB contract with probably diminishing skills. 

Snag one in the late rounds and give them a shot. Won't hurt and might discover something. And if Chuba just performs as before, well, he'll do for what we can reasonably accomplish next season.

And this kind of goes for most free agent acquisitions. Until we get our baseline play fixed, starting with the O-line and d-line, then we aren't in any position to go out searching for name free agents. Just hunt for diamonds in the rough, pay them fair with short contracts and set our sights on the draft and getting the foundation right. 

And honestly, any free agent just hoping to land here is doing it because no where attractive actually wants them. And we are not an Odell or a King Henry away from having a winning team. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

I've really gone over this again and again in my mind. We need one, we don't, we do, we don't. And finally I'v come to the point where I'm convinced we shouldn't.

Chuba did fairly well with us last season, not great, but serviceable and he's shown increasingly better results each season. Right now I'd be okay if we went into the season with him as a starter and here's why.

There are a ton of big name Free Agent RBs out there at the moment. A couple will strike it big with new teams on the field, almost all will get some kind of $8 - $11 million a year deal. We don't need another one of them on the team right now, we can't afford it. We already have a big contract running back on the team and well, let's be honest, we got taken to the cleaners on it. He flat out sucked. Hate to criticize anyone that heavily but he underperformed like no one else.

We were assured he was the guy and honestly, I don't think we've changed our scouting department personnel enough to make sure that we won't make that mistake again. And we're going to be paying for Miles Sanders for a while. Let's not saddle ourselves with a second big RB contract with probably diminishing skills. 

Snag one in the late rounds and give them a shot. Won't hurt and might discover something. And if Chuba just performs as before, well, he'll do for what we can reasonably accomplish next season.

And this kind of goes for most free agent acquisitions. Until we get our baseline play fixed, starting with the O-line and d-line, then we aren't in any position to go out searching for name free agents. Just hunt for diamonds in the rough, pay them fair with short contracts and set our sights on the draft and getting the foundation right. 

And honestly, any free agent just hoping to land here is doing it because no where attractive actually wants them. And we are not an Odell or a King Henry away from having a winning team. 

It’s not an about a starter.  It’s just about adding a legit receiving option to our backfield.  We don’t need to be looking for a starter.  

• Pie 2

14 hours ago, CRA said:

It’s not an about a starter.  It’s just about adding a legit receiving option to our backfield.  We don’t need to be looking for a starter.  

At some point, we will. Sadly we had the best in the league and traded him away for three magic beans.

15 hours ago, CRA said:

the Bryce Young pass attack IMO should be priority #1.  That an easy/cheap add and part (of many) of fixing Bryce. 

I'd rather a TE in that case. Really don't like adding a third RB when Sanders isn't playing up to his contract yet.

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

I'd rather a TE in that case. Really don't like adding a third RB when Sanders isn't playing up to his contract yet.

But if you look at the success Bryce had in college and even our new HC in Tampa….the RB pass game is just a big part of why of things worked. 

Sanders isn’t going to live up to his contract.  He will never fix that hole on the roster.  He is just an early down rusher.

To me the 3 most important spots to add Bryce is receiving RB, slot WR and TE.   We failed to give him the players in year 1.   Cupboard is still bare at all 3.  Theilen doesn’t have the skill set and his production last year skews that actual convo.  Need a YAC young guy there.