• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post-free agency draft needs reset: Offense

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

TE group is stable? lol

bar must be low.

Think they are clearly factoring in Canales' TE usage last year in their evaluation. 

The TEs in Tampa caught less balls and had less yardage than the Panthers TEs last year.  And the TEs last year sucked here.   

It's really hard to guess what the plan for this O will be next year.  All we have really heard is the coach saying we want to run the ball (despite them being bad at that in Tampa last year).   

• Pie 3

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

Think they are clearly factoring in Canales' TE usage last year in their evaluation. 

The TEs in Tampa caught less balls and had less yardage than the Panthers TEs last year.  And the TEs last year sucked here.   

It's really hard to guess what the plan for this O will be next year.  All we have really heard is the coach saying we want to run the ball (despite them being bad at that in Tampa last year).   

i'm hoping that the fact they have met with at least Wiley means that they are looking in that direction.

they could have other plans, though. maybe it's just they are looking at him as a tall pass catcher. 

20 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i'm hoping that the fact they have met with at least Wiley means that they are looking in that direction.

they could have other plans, though. maybe it's just they are looking at him as a tall pass catcher. 

really looking forward to preseason, I hope Canales is going to be bringing a fresh offensive take to Carolina that doesn't look like Tampa on repeat.  I think we need to be doing some different things given our QB and WR setup. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

TE group is stable? lol

bar must be low.

Frank R. said that last year. 

• Tremble, 194 yards, 3 TDs (no drops) Caught 72% of targets.  (This is something to build on)
  • Hurst (Now a Charger, I think) 184 yards, 1 TD, (2 drops) Caught 56% of targets.
  • Sullivan 125 yards, 0 TDs, (1 drop) Caught 50% of targets.
  • Thomas 56 yards, 0 TDs, (1 drop) Caught 56% of targets.

I see Tremble showing signs of breaking out in a new system.  The others are trash.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Frank R. said that last year. 

• Tremble, 194 yards, 3 TDs (no drops) Caught 72% of targets.  (This is something to build on)
  • Hurst (Now a Charger, I think) 184 yards, 1 TD, (2 drops) Caught 56% of targets.
  • Sullivan 125 yards, 0 TDs, (1 drop) Caught 50% of targets.
  • Thomas 56 yards, 0 TDs, (1 drop) Caught 56% of targets.

I see Tremble showing signs of breaking out in a new system.  The others are trash.

agreed. 

i think i heard something about thomas being a good blocker.

he might be, but you wouldn't know.

keep tremble...churn the rest of the group. draft 2 WRs and 2 TEs and a center and call it a weekend.

Nothing in this that we could not have collectively written.  I am guessing that we will take advantage of our place in the waiver wire line to sign a practice squad QB.  " The new rules allow teams to carry a third quarterback on game day, who can be activated from the practice squad. It's an interesting wrinkle since few teams were interested in carrying three on their active rosters. That makes it seem like a spot for a late-round pick. But Canales has said he would prefer to have a veteran in that role to offer more perspective in meetings and on the practice field. It's not inconceivable if a mid-round quarterback slides that they could take him late, but it still seems more likely they'd have an older player in that role."

I would love to see us sign C Connor Williams.  Not sure how a guy like that is still unsigned, but on the surface, that would help solidify the OL so that we can ignore it. 

based on this article, I am speculating our needs to be (I realize this did not discuss Defense, but those needs are depth at this point)

1. CB  (Believe it or not, the Corner position is thinner than WR right now in my view.  We have a 32-year old nickel, an alpha who has been on IR more than the field, and a former seventh-round pick who is new here.  I think we should draft a CB early and maybe take one off the waiver wire later).

2. WR (We need playmakers--a large X would be nice, but I think the focus in on YAC and not deep speed.  We will draft 2)

3. LB  (We have very little depth behind our two 30-year old ILBs.  We have to take one by the end of round 3, imo, or we miss out.)

4. C  (unless we sign Connor Williams, we need a C later in the draft).

5.  RB (we need a bruiser, preferably one who can block and has hands)

6. TE (Looks like Tremble is going to be the guy--and I saw enough to be OK with that since this TE draft class is weak).

That is it.  We have other needs, but they will have to wait.  Am I happy with Wonnum and Clowney?  I suppose.  Am I happy with our DTs and DEs?  I guess.  TE?  Nope.

17 minutes ago, rayzor said:

get both.

Hard to say, but It doesn't sound like this journalist thinks TE is in the cards.

Having the #1 seat at the waiver wire table could be huge if a team reluctantly has to cut a decent player. 

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Hard to say, but It doesn't sound like this journalist thinks TE is in the cards.

Having the #1 seat at the waiver wire table could be huge if a team reluctantly has to cut a decent player. 

it's darin gantt. i've got mixed feelings about him.

i would like to see us draft and then pick up a vet TE. that would be pretty ideal. we need to get at least one more, though. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

really looking forward to preseason, I hope Canales is going to be bringing a fresh offensive take to Carolina that doesn't look like Tampa on repeat.  I think we need to be doing some different things given our QB and WR setup. 

I would not judge the offense by how it looks in preseason.  It will be vanilla.  Having said that, last preseason definitely was a foreshadowing of things to come.  So who knows. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I would not judge the offense by how it looks in preseason.  It will be vanilla.  Having said that, last preseason definitely was a foreshadowing of things to come.  So who knows. 

preseason looks always show some basic and core building blocks to an offense.  Especially a new one you are installing.   You can't really make up fake offense given you are trying to teach everyone the new one.