• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off-season Thread

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

1. Yes, Rod is the guy. No, you can't find anyone a better fit for this organization. You let Rod walk, you'll see a lot of free agents walk as well.

2. Guentzel and Jarvis are both priorities. If Guentzel doesn't want to stay, Necas becomes a priority.

3. Freddie is under contract thru next season. Pyotr is still a season or 2 away and Martin was a stop-gap. Won't surprise me if Freddie and Pyotr alternate next season unless an exceptional goalie becomes available in free agency.

4. I have a feeling both Staal and Burns retire. Martinook was a bargain at $1.8M AAV and he'll get another 2-3 years at $2.5M AAV, I think.

5. Necas wants around $7.5M AAV and his production was down significantly this season. From 71 points in 22-23 to 53 this season. Canes will try to get as much as they can for him because they cannot keep him and Guentzel without serious cuts elsewhere.

6. Pesce is all but gone, making Skjei the top defender to keep.

7. Morrow will be up this coming season. Nikishin isn't available until 25-26, is he?

8. The top lines didn't perform as well as they should have. Look at the goal scorers against NY: Staal, Martinook, Kuznetsov, Noesen, Skjei, Burns, Orlov. The top lines scored in 2 games, but the bottom lines are who prevented the sweep.

Necas doesn’t want to be here unless he’s on the top line. He’s gone for sure, 100%. 

Nikishin still has a year left on his deal unless he buys himself out. 

Staal and Burns are gone as well, I agree with both retiring. 

Chatfield will probably cost 3-4 a season over 4 or 5 years. 

Pesce and Skeji both want top line money. So 8-9m a season. So I think both are probably gone. 

Edited by carpanfan96

Posted (edited)

Exit interviews:

Burns and Staal definitely sound like they’ll be back.

Pesce sounds like he wants to be back.

Skjei sounds like he’s gone, looking for a healthy contract.

Guentzel sounded like it could go either way.

Teravainen, couldn’t tell one way or the other.

DeAngelo sounds like he’s gone.

Kuznetsov actually sounded like he might be done, maybe retirement.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Exit interviews:

Burns and Staal definitely sound like they’ll be back.

Pesce sounds like he wants to be back.

Skjei sounds like he’s gone, looking for a healthy contract.

Guentzel sounded like it could go either way.

Sure if Burns and Staal come back for 1-2m max. Otherwise, bye. 

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

They are already under contract.

I know but both make too much for what they bring at this point in their careers. 

I have more thoughts on the team as currently constructed.

but hey if everyone wants to run back the same coach and mostly the same players for a great regular season followed by more postseason failures, then by all means run it back. 

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I know but both make too much for what they bring at this point in their careers. 

but hey if everyone wants to run back the same coach and mostly the same players for a great regular season followed by more postseason failures, then by all means run it back. 

Unfortunately NHL contracts can’t be reconstructed so if they are with us they’ll be making what they make.

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I don’t mind the players except maybe Freddie. My issue is the the philosophies from rod. Man Vs zone. The guys just wore down. Man just fails in the playoffs. Rod needs to change his tune on youth vs loyalty to vets. 

1 hour ago, Chief_Chokeaho said:

The guys didn’t wear down. They outskated NY the whole series lol. 

Nope, Rod’s system that works wonders in the regular season failed again in the playoffs. 38-36 in the playoffs and no more than 8 wins in any post season run. 

Win % is .514
pp is 14.9%
pk is 76% 

4 teams with more wins, tied with the Bruins for 5th. 
10 teams with a better win % in the playoffs over that time period. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Nope, Rod’s system that works wonders in the regular season failed again in the playoffs. 38-36 in the playoffs and no more than 8 wins in any post season run. 

Win % is .514
pp is 14.9%
pk is 76% 

4 teams with more wins, tied with the Bruins for 5th. 
10 teams with a better win % in the playoffs over that time period. 

Facts. We looked gased in that third. His system just doesn’t work in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I don’t mind the players except maybe Freddie. My issue is the the philosophies from rod. Man Vs zone. The guys just wore down. Man just fails in the playoffs. Rod needs to change his tune on youth vs loyalty to vets. 

It’s Rod’s system that fails in the playoffs. 

mvm works during regular season because its effort and skill related and most teams suck. 

come playoffs the effort and skill difference aren’t that big. So having lapses where forwards don’t rotate quickly to cover pinching defenders ends up costing the team over and over. 

pk is aggressive and teams with skill can make you pay over a series where in the regular season it won’t. 

why does it work in one but not the other? 

1. lot of bad to awful teams in the NHL

2. it’s a unique system that isn’t seen much, so teams aren’t used to it nor get a ton of practice against it. 

Once teams know they are playing you in a series, they’ll practice specifically for your system. 

Then bada bing, system looks awful 

12 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

It’s Rod’s system that fails in the playoffs. 

mvm works during regular season because its effort and skill related and most teams suck. 

come playoffs the effort and skill difference aren’t that big. So having lapses where forwards don’t rotate quickly to cover pinching defenders ends up costing the team over and over. 

pk is aggressive and teams with skill can make you pay over a series where in the regular season it won’t. 

why does it work in one but not the other? 

1. lot of bad to awful teams in the NHL

2. it’s a unique system that isn’t seen much, so teams aren’t used to it nor get a ton of practice against it. 

Once teams know they are playing you in a series, they’ll practice specifically for your system. 

Then bada bing, system looks awful 

The system works fine. Special teams and goaltending failed us. We owned the rangers 5v5 and I really don’t know what series you two were watching. Just more sensationalism.