• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smoltz to Red Sox?

JefDav84

Now that I have cooled down some about this deal, I kind of see what the thinking was on the Braves part. There is a good chance that Smoltz will take some time before playing this season to rest up his arm and with his age, an injury like that is a big concern. Throwing $5 mil at him is not something the Braves would do considering that chance.

Still, Smoltz did so much for the organization that it hurts to see him leave and makes you wonder how hard the Braves actually tried to keep him. He just seems like the type of guy that wants to win first, the money comes latter. I think this says something about where the organization is headed and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of players close to him.

If they let Smoltz walk, they will let Chipper too it seems. That would be a very sad day.

Not as a starter I hope.....middle relief, hell yeah! Bring it on. Oh and I could buy my wife a Sox "Smoltz" jersey so she can throw her Braves one away :)

OMG, the thought of how pissed she will be if this happens!

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

Cause he's an old man who's starting days are behind him...he would be awesome as a setup guy for Pap. Never liked the Braves putting him back in the rotation after he did his stint in the bullpen. Guess they didn't have much choice with lack of talent among the starting pitchers but he was great out of the bullpen.

Oh, and the Sox middle relief isn't so great so we could use the help there.

Cause he's an old man who's starting days are behind him...he would be awesome as a setup guy for Pap. Never liked the Braves putting him back in the rotation after he did his stint in the bullpen. Guess they didn't have much choice with lack of talent among the starting pitchers but he was great out of the bullpen.

Oh, and the Sox middle relief isn't so great so we could use the help there.

Yeah I agree with our Mid as well -- he would be a great asset there! ;)

why mid relief, guy had 150 saves. guy is a gamer, and he has shown he can adapt to any position you stick him in, starter, closer, hell bullpen work.

he will be the setup/7th inning guy, and give them a nasty end game with pap closing. hell he can spell pap at times.

still not happy at all with wren though he lowballed the base and if i was smoltz i would been upset too.

why mid relief, guy had 150 saves. guy is a gamer, and he has shown he can adapt to any position you stick him in, starter, closer, hell bullpen work.

he will be the setup/7th inning guy, and give them a nasty end game with pap closing. hell he can spell pap at times.

still not happy at all with wren though he lowballed the base and if i was smoltz i would been upset too.

I say because of the major surgery but it looks like he will get his wish as a starter around June 1st...

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/01/smoltz_expected_to_sign_with_r.html

Smoltz set to sign with Red Sox

John Smoltz's days with the Braves are over. The veteran hurler could sign with the Red Sox as early as Thursday afternoon.

A Major League source who was in contact with Smoltz on Wednesday night said the 41-year-old right-hander will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox..

Smoltz, who had been with the Braves since making his Major League debut in 1988, will make a guaranteed $5.5 million. The source said his offer also includes "very attainable" incentives that could raise his 2009 earnings to $10 million.

With Smoltz coming off major shoulder surgery, the Red Sox don't plan on having him pitch until June 1. He's expected to get his wish to serve as a starter.

- Mark Bowman

Y'all just got the best starting pitcher in post season history. If his arm was healthy, I wouldn't think twice about putting him out for a Game 7. He'd give you 6 solid innings.

Didn't know this until they said it on ESPN, but since he came back from the pen he's had more quality starts than anyone in baseball (6 IP, 3 ER, etc.). Nearly 75% of the time. If he could just stay healthy.

Setup guy would be fine with me, too....he's never going to take saves away from Papelbon unless JP goes in the shitter. Then it would be great to have Smoltz available for that role.

Setup guy would be fine with me, too....he's never going to take saves away from Papelbon unless JP goes in the sh*tter. Then it would be great to have Smoltz available for that role.

more on the when pap needs a day off john steps in, not t o say he splits, but only when pap has been run out a few too many times and needs a day off.

Archived