• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burying Power Lines

Scrumtrilescent

I have a residential power line I want buried from the pole to my house, and cable lines as well. I've heard ranges from Duke Power will do it free to it costing 800 bucks. I need it to be moved enough so additions won't require moving them 2x. Tell me everything and you will live.

Srsly.

It usually depends on where your meter is and local codes. I am, not sure if the power company does that sort of thing for free but out here, they will want an arm and a leg.

Most times, if it is a meter change, the power company will want to come out and specify where the new one will be placed.

Best bet is to get a free consutation/bid from a local Electrical Contractor and go from there.

I have a residential power line I want buried from the pole to my house, and cable lines as well. I've heard ranges from Duke Power will do it free to it costing 800 bucks. I need it to be moved enough so additions won't require moving them 2x. Tell me everything and you will live.

Srsly.

I'm not sure I understand what your scenario involves...

Do you already have a power line and a cable line underground and want them moved, or are you talking about 2 completely new lines?

Are your "additions" already planned out, and do they involve moving the box where the existing lines already come into the house?

Do it yourself.

Cable yes, power, no.

I'm not sure I understand what your scenario involves...

Do you already have a power line and a cable line underground and want them moved, or are you talking about 2 completely new lines?

Are your "additions" already planned out, and do they involve moving the box where the existing lines already come into the house?

They are already there, just need to be buried and at a place where we wouldn't have to move them again if/when we add on. Don't think any box moving for either is involved.

I guess I have a somewhat similar situation. The power line to my house comes from a pole that's right in the middle of my back yard. I have no clue why it's there but it's a bad eye sore and will limit my options when I go to build a patio. Can/will duke power come out and move it (or bury it)for me?

I'm fairly certain it's not free and I believe they will charge you by the foot to have it done. I have no idea of the rates, but I know if you want to have gas hooked up in Charlotte, PNG charges an absurd amount for each foot of pipe. Wouldn't shock me if Duke were the same way.

Archived