• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Suprisingly, Connor not being asked to compete for starting SLB spot

scpanther22

And yet Diggs was still faster than Conner.

I am not hating on Conner. I am a big Penn State fan and love me some DC.

With the speed game that Meeks employs, I can definitely understand why Anderson is the favorite.....not to mention that he has more experience.

Conner was a great MLB in college....with the ability to slide out and play the OLB when needed.

I am not saying whether Anderson or Conner SHOULD be the starter....the coaches know more than I do. What I am saying is that trading Conner would be a very dumb move. He does not have a high trade value as his playing time has been limited....and, why trade a very solid back-up who can play several positions, just to merely need to go out and sign another back-up.

Since when was Diggs faster than Connor?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=60645&draftyear=2000&genpos=OLB

At the SLB and especially at the MLB position, anticipation and proper play diagnosis are better than straight-line speed. That's why a slow guy like Beason looks so fast on the field. He always moves in the right way to make a play, there's never a half-second hesitation or jump in the wrong direction.

Connor did that at Penn St.

My New Outlook

You know what, I am tired of this. Unless your name is Thomas Davis or Jon Beason then you should be competing for the strong side linebacker job.

So: James Anderson, Dan Connor, Jamar Williams, Eric Norwood, Jordan Senn, Quinton Culberson, Mortty Ivy, Sean Ware, and Brett Warren report to the practice field. We are having a tryout.

This is what needs to be done to make everyone happy, that way the best man for the job is out on the field.

Since when was Diggs faster than Connor?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=60645&draftyear=2000&genpos=OLB

At the SLB and especially at the MLB position, anticipation and proper play diagnosis are better than straight-line speed. That's why a slow guy like Beason looks so fast on the field. He always moves in the right way to make a play, there's never a half-second hesitation or jump in the wrong direction.

Connor did that at Penn St.

I stand corrected on the speed comment.

Again, I am not debating whether Conner or Anderson should start. Just that making a comment to trade Conner if Anderson is named the starter is ridiculous. Depth is a HUGE advantage in the NFL.

I stand corrected on the speed comment.

Again, I am not debating whether Conner or Anderson should start. Just that making a comment to trade Conner if Anderson is named the starter is ridiculous. Depth is a HUGE advantage in the NFL.

My comment was referring to the trade offers we got for Connor before the draft.Why not trade him if he was going to be backup without a shot to start.

Then you say because connor is a great backup MLB.Well when did he become a great backup MLB??

My comment was referring to the trade offers we got for Connor before the draft.Why not trade him if he was going to be backup without a shot to start.

Then you say because connor is a great backup MLB.Well when did he become a great backup MLB??

I guess he's dog meat?

Connor was rated as the top ILB in his class by a lot of publications. Just like Kalil, he slid and we pounced even though we had no apparent need at the time.

Based on his potential coming out of college, on the production he's had playing special teams, and on his production in the two games where he actually saw a lot of action at SLB (Tampa Bay and New England last year), a lot of us would love to see him get a shot at a starting position. He's well suited for both SLB and MLB, and since we have Beason the SLB is the logical spot.

But so far the coaching staff seems to think differently, and they're playing Anderson there while everyone's in shorts. Maybe things will change in training camp, we'll just have to see.

I guess he's dog meat?

Connor was rated as the top ILB in his class by a lot of publications. Just like Kalil, he slid and we pounced even though we had no apparent need at the time.

Based on his potential coming out of college, on the production he's had playing special teams, and on his production in the two games where he actually saw a lot of action at SLB (Tampa Bay and New England last year), a lot of us would love to see him get a shot at a starting position. He's well suited for both SLB and MLB, and since we have Beason the SLB is the logical spot.

But so far the coaching staff seems to think differently, and they're playing Anderson there while everyone's in shorts. Maybe things will change in training camp, we'll just have to see.

Agree

I think once TC gets here Connor will at least get a shot at OLB.

I never heard information about WHAT we were offered for Conner. Unless it was a 2nd Rd pick, I would not have done it.

You have TD coming off a major issue....you let Diggs go...you let Johnson go. We went from deep to thin at LB. What conner offers you is one player who is an excellent back-up at either the MLB or SLB position. That type of versatility is very valuable.

Trade Conner and we would have had to sign a back-up LB.

Given the question marks at DL, LB is going to be absolutely critical for our defense's success. I would not have liked trading away a nice piece to that puzzle.

Archived