• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Better Secondary:Panthers or Saints?

scpanther22

Better Secondary  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Better Secondary

• Panthers
    • Saints

see I really hate this argument, bc our pass rush BLOWED even w/ Pep. I've said this under so many threads im beginning to sound like a broken record. we were near the bottom of the league in QB sacks. and most of those were coverage sacks.

he still pushed through the line forcing the QB to throw the ball quicker than he'd like.

Last year our secondary was better because we gave up fewer big plays, less YPC, and fewer points as a function of completions.

The Saints players were ranked higher individually but that is also a function of the system. Problem for the Saints historically have been plenty of injuries which makes them less successful as a group.

That is not the point, the point is we were struggling against the run, losing a lot and had an anaemic offence, teams did not need to pass against us. I think almost everyone here would agree that at the beginning of last season our secondary was rarely tested.

so are we going to nix the rest of the season? our secondary proved it deserved to be where it was ranked throughout the season.

On the other hand NO were a free scoring offensive juggernaut that could do both run and pass. they put a lot of pressure on teams to score and score quickly, meaning teams HAD to pass on them.

covered

If you have issues with Sharper, then you HAVE to have issues with both Godfrey and Martin, beyond them we have NO ONE. NO have their starters (who were very impressive) at CB, their starters at safety AND two first round picks as back up.

What the hell are you talking about? issue w/ Sharper? i don't know him, and don't care to. idk what you are talking about. Godfrey and Martin are alot younger and still have room to get better, they did pretty damn good last year. and who cares what round their starters were drafted in, this means nothing me.

Come on now, look at things a little deeper and don't look at the Panthers as the team you defend to the death. Just be objective.

don't tell me what to do.

the panther's secondary was ranked 4th in the NFL last season IIRC. the saints had good production from they're secondary, but it was mainly because the offense scored so many points, that they're opponents were forced to throw the ball, making them one-dimentional.

It wasnt really the secondary that ranked 4th, but the pass def as a whole. This includes the front seven. Talent-wise, I think we are pretty similar to the Saints at the corner positions, but they may have the edge with Sharper who is a helluva playmaker at safety. While I like Godfrey and Martin, they haven't proven enough yet for me to say our secondary is better.

so are we going to nix the rest of the season? our secondary proved it deserved to be where it was ranked throughout the season.

covered

What the hell are you talking about? issue w/ Sharper? i don't know him, and don't care to. idk what you are talking about. Godfrey and Martin are alot younger and still have room to get better, they did pretty damn good last year. and who cares what round their starters were drafted in, this means nothing me.

don't tell me what to do.

Way to fly off the handle.

You said you had questions (issues) with Sharper's health. Well Panther fans as a whole have HUGE questions regarding Godfrey's play. He improved late in the year, but he still has serious questions about his level of play. Martin is even greener and although he had a few highlight plays he also had issues with his tackling. Obviously Sharper is not perfect, but he is one of the better safeties in the league. His question mark is health, our two is level of play.

I personally felt Marshall was every bit that Gamble was last year, however a healthy portion of this board did not and have big question marks on if he is a legit number 2 corner. Greer and Porter, performed quite ridiculously well against the pass when they played, however health is their question mark.

As P55 pointed out, individually they stack up better player to player. However with their injuries, they are often found out as a collective group.

So at the moment I give it to the Saints, however if history repeats itself, one or more of these guys will go down, leaving them struggling to gel. However they went at lengths to have an insurance policy by yet again taking a DB early in the draft. Our depth is so ridiculously questionable it's not even funny.

So, once again, try and be objective and look beyond the facts and figures. Our secondary performed better, however their secondary is individually better and now have added better. Depth is a shade towards NO as well after having Jenkins and Robinson as cover for both corner and safety.

Way to fly off the handle.

You said you had questions (issues) with Sharper's health. Well Panther fans as a whole have HUGE questions regarding Godfrey's play. He improved late in the year, but he still has serious questions about his level of play. Martin is even greener and although he had a few highlight plays he also had issues with his tackling. Obviously Sharper is not perfect, but he is one of the better safeties in the league. His question mark is health, our two is level of play.

I personally felt Marshall was every bit that Gamble was last year, however a healthy portion of this board did not and have big question marks on if he is a legit number 2 corner. Greer and Porter, performed quite ridiculously well against the pass when they played, however health is their question mark.

As P55 pointed out, individually they stack up better player to player. However with their injuries, they are often found out as a collective group.

So at the moment I give it to the Saints, however if history repeats itself, one or more of these guys will go down, leaving them struggling to gel. However they went at lengths to have an insurance policy by yet again taking a DB early in the draft. Our depth is so ridiculously questionable it's not even funny.

So, once again, try and be objective and look beyond the facts and figures. Our secondary performed better, however their secondary is individually better and now have added better. Depth is a shade towards NO as well after having Jenkins and Robinson as cover for both corner and safety.

and yet the fact remains. until proven otherwise, our secondary is better. the numbers from last year say so.

Based on last year's stats/rankings, we have the better secondary. I'd take our top 3 corners over almost anyone's in the league. NO has a slight edge at safety, but our safeties are highly underrated. Godfrey is not nearly as bad as people on here say he is, and he was playing lights out after returning from his injury. Martin showed that he can handle the starting spot and make plays. Losing Harris only hurts our overall depth at safety. If Godfrey and Martin stay healthy our secondary will be just as good, if not better than last year. Martin is a step up from Harris in terms of pass coverage.

lol @ the poll. It's the Saints as of now

Right..because they're playing much better now...oh wait!.. the season hasn't started yet.

If you want to go by 2009 regular season, then you vote the Panthers secondary.

lol Pro bowl voting is a joke though.

popularity contest does not count.

I started argueing this but then I just deleted my post. This is like argueing between apples and apples.

Both secondaries are pretty damn good. I think the Saints weak spot is Harper their SS (not Sharper) and I honestly don't think we have a weak spot.

Both teams have a strong set of backups. Except not us so much at Saftey.

I was really impressed with Porter in his rookie year before he got injured and he palyed even better last year. Say what you want but that pick 6 on Manning in the SB says it all. Greer was a huge pick up for them and he is great too.

I hate to say it but I think both those corners are slightly bettrr then Gamble and Marshall, and I'm a huge Gamble fan from back when he was playing with a cast and still knocking balls outta the air.

That being said I think we have the better DBs overall granted Godfrey and Martin stay healthy. I think our entire fanbase have heavy expectations for those two, I hope they don't let us down.

Archived