• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

Highland is the brewery that got me into craft beer. I first tried their Oatmeal Porter while going to school in Asheville, and a whole new world opened up for me.

That being said, I do not enjoy their Kashmir IPA that much. It's not bad, I just expected a bit more hop flavor. It's almost like it's an English IPA.

But give me a Highland Oatmeal Porter, Black Mocha Stout or St. Terese's Pale Ale and I'm a happy man. :)

This is their one beer I don't like as much. They're alright but are definitely my last choice in the sampler pack.

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Grove Park Inn at Asheville last month. I ordered room service of a seven-layer chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and a Highland Black Mocha Stout.

It was divine. :D

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Grove Park Inn at Asheville last month. I ordered room service of a seven-layer chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and a Highland Black Mocha Stout.

It was divine. :D

That would be a good time for that sort of beer. It tastes "desserty" to me if you get my drift.

That would be a good time for that sort of beer. It tastes "desserty" to me if you get my drift.

Oh most definitely. Some people just aren't into the sweeter/maltier beers, and that's cool. You might prefer an imperial stout. They often have some sweetness going on, but they are also more bitter and have a stronger roasted character than a regular stout.

The Old Rasputin I posted earlier is one of my favorites of that style.

One thing that slipped my mind the other day when you guys were asking about sampler packs: some places like Lowe's Foods or World Market have sections where you can buys singles and make your own "mix-six." It's a good way to try several different beers without committing to a six-pack of something that you're not sure you'll like. It's also a good way to find out which styles you like. Once you find a style, try several different examples of that style.

I went to Lowe's Foods last night and picked up the following:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Flying Dog In Heat Hefeweizen

Southampton Double White Ale (x2)

I've had the first two of these and enjoy them. As you can see, I chose a few beers that might be nice in this sweltering weather. :cheers2:

Had a Purple Haze last night.

I enjoy one or two of those every now and again.

I haven't had the Purple Haze. I did get to try Abita's seasonal Strawberry Harvest Lager and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of Abita's beers, but that one is a really refreshing "summer beer." I'm guessing the same could be said for the Purple Haze.

I haven't had that one. I just find Abita to be a very average brewery. It seems everybody likes TurboDog, but I found it to be one of the most mediocre (yes, that's an oxymoron) brown ales I've had.

Definitely. I think Abita is one of most overrated breweries in the country. Them and Magic Hat. I feel like they locked up the hipster crowd using strong marketing as opposed to making a quality product.

Archived