• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So one of my best friend is black, and he played quarterback in high school.

I'll throw this out there.

At my son's high school, there's two qb's. One white, one black. The black kid is a much better qb than the white guy, but guess who gets the most play time. Pisses me off. I don't know about other schools, but it's always been who's son you are here.

“Some of my best friends are black”

...is a phrase whites use to prove they are not racist. They also use it when they are about to say something racist: “Some of my best friends are black, but….” As if that gives them a green light to say any racist thing they want.

My first reaction is to doubt the quality of said friendships. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, it has become clear that black friendship has little effect on white racism:

At my son's high school, there's two qb's. One white, one black. The black kid is a much better qb than the white guy, but guess who gets the most play time. Pisses me off. I don't know about other schools, but it's always been who's son you are here.

is the black QB younger? Age was a big thing at my school. They wouldn't let any of the insane 9th graders play on the varsity unless injuries hit.

Nope. They're either the same class, or the black kid is ahead of the sucky one.

I totally agree that black qb's are groomed different. At least they are here. Now that I think about it, the kid here is used like Vick, although he can pass. He's put in on certain plays.

At my old high school there are hardly any white players to be found. I love the team(s) and go to quite a few games during the year, too.

Do you guys want to know why black QBs are taught to run first in high school? Because if coaches could, they'd have all QBs doing the same. Black QBs can gain you 10 yards a pop. White QBs, not so much. There are exceptions. But if coaches can gain 10 yards a play on the ground, they're going to run the ball. No incompletions. No interceptions. No holding penalties. It's not "Well, I think this kid is too dumb to throw the ball." Coaches want to win.

Do you guys want to know why black QBs are taught to run first in high school? Because if coaches could, they'd have all QBs doing the same. Black QBs can gain you 10 yards a pop. White QBs, not so much. There are exceptions. But if coaches can gain 10 yards a play on the ground, they're going to run the ball. No incompletions. No interceptions. No holding penalties. It's not "Well, I think this kid is too dumb to throw the ball." Coaches want to win.

I thought it was pretty obvious myself. Prolly better you explained it to the "not-so-bright". Plus, like me, coaches LOVE a QB who can avoid taking a sack by moving around.

:driving:

Archived