• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMS question

Cat

First off I really hope this doesn't turn into a CMS sucks move somewhere else thread.

If we don't like our school assignments could we rent a cheap apartment in a good school assignment area for 6-9 months out of the year and use that as our home address?

My son starts school in a few years and I'm happy with his elementary school but if we stay in this house til he is in middle school or hs we are going to have to go another route (of course those schools could improve). I'm wondering if renting an apartment close to a top rated school is an option. I think I'd rather do that then pay $18k+ a year for a private school.

It's the residence in which you pay taxes from. Dual residency is what some board members have done to gerry mander but that's another subject.

I would look into charter schools if you can. Ours go to one and while that school doesn't have buses, some do and that's a huge benefit.

Also, charter schools or more or less FREE private schools.

don't worry about it now, as the middle and high school assignment are likely to change twice by the time your kids get to be that age... and the schools themselves would have changed reputations.

And yes what you described isn't legal

We have a charter school not far from here. I think they keep adding grades. It seems the elementary grades are performing well on test but not the higher grades. Not sure if it has busing but I plan to drive him to school anyways.

I read on CMS' website you have to show 3 things for proof of residence. Rent or mortgage statement, utility bill and a drivers license, w-2 or paycheck stub. All 3 of those are completely doable.

I guess I'm trying to gauge how ethical it would be and if it's a common thing.

It's very common. Ethically I say no. For your kids, I totally see the thinking behind it but this is part of why CMS is in the pickle it's in.

From parents getting free reduced lunch who don't to parents trying to do what's best for the kids and get them in the right zone are almost forced to go this route.

Honestly tho. It comes down to the parents. Your kids can go to the "best" school doesn't gurantee them much.

Now, the conditions of a certain school, can impede their learning.

We miss Mint Hill Middle and Butler HS by only a mile or two :( hopefully the borders will change by the time he is going to Middle school. But I think it's best for us to prepare to pay 20k a year for private school in case it doesn't. I don't like the feeling that his education is up in the air or out of our control, it's just too important to me. Maybe it's just best not to rely on the gov't run system since it can change so suddenly.

Depending on where you are specifically in Mint Hill, there will be an annex in 2011. There will be some changes to the whole area, hopefully that will do it for you.

All I know is once they do it I'll finally have city trash service and won't have to pay $35 a month.

Depending on where you are specifically in Mint Hill, there will be an annex in 2011. There will be some changes to the whole area, hopefully that will do it for you.

All I know is once they do it I'll finally have city trash service and won't have to pay $35 a month.

I'm in Mint Hill and already have city trash service so I guess it wont effect me.

I went to sh*tty schools growing up and I turned out OK.

I tell my wife this all the time when she's whining about our local schools... for some reason it doesn't do much good? :confused:

sheeat, I went to Hawthorne Middle from 94-96.

it don't get much crazier than that, and I'm fine. Sometimes it's good for them, it sure opened my eyes

sheeat, I went to Hawthorne Middle from 94-96.

it don't get much crazier than that, and I'm fine. Sometimes it's good for them, it sure opened my eyes

I don't know where that is... but I'll take your word for it that it's bad.

My Jr high and high school was so small, it was both the same... it was a Jr/Sr high school... yes, I grew up in BFE.

We miss Mint Hill Middle and Butler HS by only a mile or two :( hopefully the borders will change by the time he is going to Middle school. But I think it's best for us to prepare to pay 20k a year for private school in case it doesn't. I don't like the feeling that his education is up in the air or out of our control, it's just too important to me. Maybe it's just best not to rely on the gov't run system since it can change so suddenly.

I was an 8th grader at Mint Hill Middle the first year it opened and graduated from Butler. A+ Schools!

Is your boy at Bain? I know the principal there

Archived