• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to use a ";"

CanadianCat

I feel dumb asking this...

Its been a few years since I took English so maybe there are a few smart people that can help me.

How do you use “;

Ive been using it in a list. Such as, “I'm going to work on;

Can anyone tell me how the proper way to use it is?

I'm a semicolon fiend; I use them all the time. It's my favorite punctuation; often used to my own detriment.

On the other hand, I don't use colons very often, because: when I'm writing out longhand I don't like making lists, colons are only useful when making a bulleted or comma-delimited itemized list, and this looks like crap.

It's a worthless piece of punctuation; I suggest forgetting about it.

It's a worthless piece of punctuation. I suggest forgetting about it.

It's more fluid and less jarring when reading; you are a poo poo head.

Kral doesn't know how to use a semicolon; his example with the semi-colon isn't even the correct usage; it would only be a period there.

Semicolons can be used to streamline writing; reducing the number of sentances needed complete a thought.

Semicolons can be used to streamline writing. Semicolons can minimize the number of sentances used to complete a thought.

Kral doesn't know how to use a semicolon; his example with the semi-colon isn't even the correct usage; it would only be a period there.

Semicolons can be used to streamline writing; reducing the number of sentances needed complete a thought.

Semicolons can be used to streamline writing. Semicolons can minimize the number of sentances used to complete a thought.

Sentence 2 would be a comma because there is no subject in the second phrase.

:auto:

Archived