• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Peppers Ideas (If its a real possibilty)

unicar15

Post them here...

For me...if Peppers is gone then the 3-4 should be a real possibility and getting Cowher to run it is best case scenario. I really like John Fox but his "expertise" is with a 4-3 so if Peppers goes then so should Fox.

Trade Pep for his Franchise Tag price (two first round picks). No clue what we would do with the pick this year but that would be for the GM to decide.

If the 3-4 is the way we are going then there is one player that is a FA who would fit it perfectly...Terrell Suggs. If Pep doesn't want to play here then that is fine but maybe Suggs would want to.

- Beason would stick with the MLB and Davis would stick with the other OLB spot.

- We could do one of two things with our second MLB spot to play with Beason...we could either make a run at another FA (James Farrior comes to mind) OR...we could try to plug in Diggs, Seward, or a draft pick. Another option is to move Davis inside to play the other MLB, play Hilee Taylor as a speed rusher on the opposite side of whoever we sign (because we would have to sign someone).

The DL is where it really gets tricky...to stop the run you have to have a HUGE NT and two really fundamentally sound DE. Personally IDK if Kemo is up to playing NT in a 3-4...he gets soft at times but all he would have to do is become and immovable object and he would work. I have no clue what we would do at DE because you can't just move a guy over there from DT and expect it to work...trades would have to be made IMO.

Bottom line is that this is a mess. Would it be interesting to see how it all fit together...sure. But it would take multiple seasons to come together and we would pretty much have to completely change our team to do so.

But this is what trading Julius Peppers would do to us...we would either have to completely rebuild a DL made up of average players (which could take a couple seasons). Or we could switch to a defense where if you have a good scheme the players are interchangeable. The latter reason is why I have always been more of a fan of 3-4 defenses than 4-3 defenses...the freaks of the world are not necessary for success.

I really like everything except nobody is going to give 2 1st round picks for Peppers and John Fox is not going anywhere

I think that there are teams out there that would trade a first this year and then another first rounder next year if they are one player away (or so they think). While I agree with you that Fox probably is not going anywhere...he might as well be gone if Pep is b/c as I said his defense is based on one player.

Also, if they want Pep then that is more than likely what they will have to give up unless there is a way to negotiate around a franchise tag rule.

Nobody is even going to give one 1st round pick for him. Teams don't trade 1st rounders for players anymore. Hell even Randy Moss was traded for a 4th.

Please see the Jared Allen trade of last year then come and talk to me. I don't even put Allen in the same league as Pep with his skill set in the open field...I really think that someone could bite.

as far as Randy Moss going for a 4th rounder ? Randy Moss was coming off of two back to back disappointing seasons and looked like he was finished. You can't compare getting a 4th for a guy in that scenario and the current Peppers.

So you would rather play a 4-3 without ONE legitimate pass rushing threat? Thats a reallll smart idea...

Are you serious? You can't just flip the switch and line guys up in a 3-4. We don't have the right type of Linebackers or defensive linemen for a 3-4. Get a clue.

As compared to playing a defense we have 0 personel for ? Ya.

Get eductated.

We have one of the best DEs (If not THE best) in the entire NFL and our pressure was average. If we lose Julius Peppers be prepared to have one of the worst defenses in the league because you will not find a more effective DE in the draft, FA, in trades, not anywhere. So if our 4-3 was that ineffective WITH him...then think about it WITHOUT him. Would you rather wait around until we are one of the worst teams in the league to draft a potential bust to save this defense or would you rather suck it up for one year, change some personnel, and implement a system where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I'm just saying...we had the best DE maybe in the history of the league and we squandered him with an unimaginative defense and now he wants out. Are we prepared to do the same thing yet again?

Are you serious? You can't just flip the switch and line guys up in a 3-4. We don't have the right type of Linebackers or defensive linemen for a 3-4. Get a clue.

So are you saying the Beason can't play 3-4 MLB, that TD can't play the outside, that we can't sign a FA OLB? Or you are mentioning what I already said in that we would need to gradually find some DE to play? Because the first three are wrong assumptions and the last one I already said...

I'm not saying this is what we SHOULD do...but it would take the same amount of time to rebound from a switch to the 3-4 as it would to rebound from losing Julius Peppers. Thats the point...

Archived