• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Grades for last night.

Snake

To start off with the Ravens game was dialed back a lot on both sides cause we face each other in the regular season. With that said it was a good game that showed us a lot about our team as it is now.

QBS

Matt Moore seemed to be hot and cold all night long and is prob glade to have such good TEs on his team.

He was prob hindered by the lack of consistence of our Oline. I think we need to bring back the RV cause those guys were just bad...

Clausen was better then I thought and you could tell he was in a Pro System in collage. With that said I think he made some Rookie mistakes also. He did a bad no no when the threw against the grain to Sutten and was lucky it was not picked off. If that would have been the ones it would have been pick 6.

Most of the night he was harassed by the Ravens D but showed good poise and never seemed rattled. Even prob when he should have been with the lack of a Center other then Kalil.

Cantwell showed why we should take a harder look at Pike this Preseason. He might have a strong arm but his feet showed he is not ready. He reminded me of another guy that played with the Panthers with the last name of Carr.

Pike so how did the pine feel last night???:rolleyes:

Grade:B

WR

First off Smith dose not have to worry about losing his #1 spot for a while. Every WR on our team did not get open consistently. Our TEs as Zod has pointed out are our best Receivers.

Kenny Moore looked the most polished of all of them and that catch he made showed that he might drop a few but will haul in a few bad balls as well.

Jarrett made a good catch over the middle but that has never been his problem. I want so see more before I say anything...

LaFell was given a shot in the Endzone and showed he is still a rookie. He was in double coverage but was beat out for the ball. It was not a promising moment for the Rookie and if he wants to start then he has to prove he can make that catch.

Edwards seems like he is nervous and just needs more time. He has the tools but the mental side of things has not caught up yet. He also got welcomed to the NFL in the second half.

Grade: C- The need some more work as of now.

TEs

Jeff King is making me look bad. I said I would let him go over the other two TEs. I was wrong...

Barnidge had two nice grabs on the night and seems to be progressing well.

Rosario had a nice grab late but I would still like to see more out of him.

Grade: B

RB

Dwill had a few nice runs with is limited play but he got ate up by Cody as well. God that guy is a big one...

Sutton has now impressed me with his ablity to run the ball and also catch from the back field. I am not really worried if Dwill or Jstew need some time off with this guy behind them.

Fiammetta had some good blocks and a few good pass grabs last night and I hope he builds on that. He is not Hoover yet but he looks like he is progressing well.

Grade: B+

Oline

Dear Big Uglies

Get the RV back and start living there.

Thanks Snake.

Grade: D I think Im being nice giving them a D though.

Offense

As a whole they looked rusty and showed they need a lot of work. Davidson has his hands full this year. QBs,WRs, and the Oline need work. He has three weeks to get them NFL ready and I hope he meets that challenge. Oh and BTW I like the fact he was in the Booth. I think all OCs should be up there because it give them as better view of things. I never liked him being on the sideline.

Grade: C The Oline made this grade sink.

DEs

Brayton is going to have a major season if he keeps it up. He was just a monster last night. All I can say is WOW about him.

Johnson needs to step up or get out of Greg Hardy's way. We have waited a long while for him to turn the lights on up there and its just seems he cant do it.

Greg Hardy needs some time with the first team. He was dominating the 2nd string guys and showing why he could be our lil pep.

Dear Everette Brown, That spin move dose not work and Eric Moore out played you. Learn quickly or get out of the way.

Eric Moore has shown why he showed why we should give him some more reps.

Grade:A+ Really these guys could not have been much better. Both first and second string.

DTs

As a whole they got push and were working hard to get to the QB. Although there run support is suspect.

Nick Hayden was alright last night and got some push... Its was the first time I have ever seen him do that in the right direction. I know it must of felt strange to him. Even earned himself a sack as well. Good job

Grade:B+ Just need to sure up that run to get an A.

LB

Beason looked like he was a little out of place on D this Game. He might be a beast but he is still learning the Will Position.

Connor looked like he had been starting at Mike for a few years now. This guy has a nose for the ball and can hit.

Anderson covered the Ravens TE well but thats all I saw of him.

Norwood is gonna be a good Jack LB if we use him. Please use him Meeks...

Grade: A I see no reason to give them anything lower. They played well.

CBs

Gamble please come back soon...

Marshall looked good and as well he should

Capt is still not ready to be a starter and gave up some ground to his man.

Wilson made some nice defenses last night and is a solid back up.

Grade:C They needed at least a pick to get an A.

S

Godfrey is still a mixed bag at the moment. He had some good plays and some bad ones.

I did not see much of Martin so I will hold my reserve for the next game.

Grade:C They need work but didnt do anything bad or good this game. Just avg to me.

Defense

As a whole I was very impressed with them. They harassed the Ravens Offense to the point that they resulted to using Screen plays almost half the time. The CBs and DBs need some work although that TD was not our fault. Clayton pushed off big time and when I say big time I mean if he would have pushed any harder he would have knocked Capt out of the Endzone.

Grade:B+ For the first game of the season thats a good grade.

ST

Baker had a good punt but his hold was awful on the FG.

Kasay had a bad game for him. Someone need to tighten the bolts.

Edwards showed us that he dose not know how to Return Kicks. Too much dancing not enough running. I know they want him to win the PR duty's but Wright deserves a look as well. We need the best guy out there.

Our coverage sucked...... It sucked like a hungry calf to its mommas ***.

Grade: F If anyone can give me a compelling argument on why they should not get this grade I will change it but they stunk to me.

Overall Grade: C I think we played about avg for a team at this time.

Agreed that ST was horrible. The rest sounds just right. I think Armanti started returning better towards the end when he stopped dancing.

I might down grade the LBs a notch. Beason just wasn't Beason. Hopefully it is was a bad day as reports were he was dominating in camp with the move.

I'd also give the LB'ers a little lower score because of this.

There were as many good things to take note of as their were bad. It was the first pre-season game, on the road against a perennially strong team, especially on defense. And the weather stunk. I saw good things out of both Moore and Clausen, and our RBs. The O-line allowed some pressure, but again, the Ravens are going to get that on most teams. I was hoping to see someone among the WRs step up. I'm thinking Edwards is more suited for Wildcat duties than WR, at least for this year. I was heartened to see the attention our QBs paid to the TEs, that will bode well for both the running game and the WRs as the season wears on if we continue that. I was also glad to see the number of screen passes, something we seemed to get away from in seasons past. We have the weapons to make them work!

Captain didn't have a good game. And above all, I was hoping to see a killer attitude and execution from our STs'. They cost as many games as Jake did last season. I do believe they will be the key for us this year. But they better improve exponentially over what they did last night!

It seems to me, that SS's typically dont get too many stats when the defense in front of them plays up to snuff, which I agree it did. The safeties and the WR's spot are still the two area's that concern me most. I have pretty high hopes for Martin and Godfrey in seeing them flash their athleticism from time to time, but Im having a lot of trouble figuring out whether I should be concerned or not.

On that touchdown, I couldn't decide if it was realistic for S help on that play or not. Captain got no help.

I thought that too but Godfrey was creeping up because a tight end was running a slant of sorts. In a perfect world Godfrey plays the tight end while the free safety drops back and helps Captain, but hey that's what the preseason is for. Plus you can't really blame Godfrey because Mark Clayton caught the touchdown not Boldin or Mason. If one of them had been streaking long he should have fallen back.

Secondary wasn't bad. Safeties did their job, Marshall was lockdown for the most part (if you didn't hear his name called, he played well), and Captain actually covered Clayton perfectly on the TD. If he had kept his feet/not been pushed, it would have been a pick or at least a pass defense. He's certainly better than most #3 Corners in the league and by the time one of our top two guys hits the road he'll be more than ready to start.

Our ST's play was horrid last night. Armanti seemed scared and dropped before contact, he started playing better after the hit that caused the dropped pass (hopefully he begins to gel, or he would just be a threat in the wildcat). Cundiff was killing KO's last night so we didn't get to see how affective witherspoon or moore could be. Lafell should of caught that TD last night, it was batted but he had his hands on the ball. If Dexter Jackson could of stayed on his feet on that long reception he would have bolted for 6 (I want to see how fast this kid really is). Gettis would have had a nice catch in traffic if it wasn't for the missed pass interference call.

Defense played great. Our defensive ends played lights out. Brayton owned Michael Oher last night and that's saying a lot. Greg Hardy is going to be good (its to early to say he'll be great). Charles Johnson and Everette Brown dissapointed me last night. That spin move was awful, if your rushing to the inside your suppose to spin in the opposite direction. Johnson was unseen out there, someone said he made a great move to free Brayton up on that 2nd sack. I honestly didn't see it. Brown was inches for having a sack for safety but didn't finish on the play, he just reached out (a lot like he did last year).

I cant believe some people call Hardy lil pep, that has got to be the worst nickname i've ever heard of

Yea I agree, but it might give him more motivation and become a great player. Its still disrespectful IMO, let the man gain a nickname for his play not for the person he's replacing.

On that touchdown, I couldn't decide if it was realistic for S help on that play or not. Captain got no help.

I could not tell ether if the S should have given him Deep help and thats why he was out of pos or if he just got behind him. Ether way he did have good coverage untill he got pushed half way out of the endzone by Clayton.

I basically agree with everything.

I might down grade the LBs a notch. Beason just wasn't Beason. Hopefully it is was a bad day as reports were he was dominating in camp with the move.

That was a hard one for me. On one hand you had you had Connor and Anderson playing good and on the other you had Beason not doing so well. Im not really sure where you throw Norwood in there but he did good as well.

Archived