• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about dropping a class

Johnny Rockets

From personal experience, even if he doesn't do well in that English, it will still look better on a college app than if he dropped it and got a regular English class. At least the principal is right about that.

Saying that, he should know what's too much for him to take on. Dropping that class can be explained to a college counselor, but the initial impressions would not be good. Personally, I would tough it out. If he does well, he can skip English and calculus from the sounds of it.

Many great points...thanks for all the advice and amazing it didn't get derailed! Seems it is about 50/50 on here which is kind of where I was before asking. Think we are going to have him stick it out but will have a chat tonight.

Feel free to post bewbie pictures in here now. I got what I needed. :cheers2:

Where does he want to go to college, JR?

As of now he is leaning towards Chemical Engineering which limits his choices but it looks like NC State. He wanted to go to USC but I am not sure what kind of scholarships he will be able to get and out of state tuition is too high for my wallet.

He is not 100% in on the Chemical Engineering thing though. He wants to be in the sports industry but not sure what the fast track to money is in that field (if you are not a player) and I am not sure there is one. Truth be told, I think he should get a statistics degree or something similar and move to Vegas to be an odds maker. Kid has a knack for spreads and beating them. Especially in odd sports like tennis, soccer, etc. Mom won't let that be an option though.

I'm not bragging, but I took 8 AP classes in high school.. and I think college is 10x easier than high school was. So I definitely agree with what Panthro said. Calculus wasn't one of the AP classes I took, though.

If he took AP English his junior year and passed the AP exam, he won't likely recieve more college credit by taking AP English his senior year and passing the exam. I took AP English both junior and senior years and passed the exam both times. I only got credit for 1 English class, and I would've gotten the same credit had I taken/passed only of the the AP exams, and not both.

So if he's really doing it for college credit, and has already taken AP Eng as a junior, tell him to check out the AP Acceptance policies of whatever universities he is interested in to see if they award additional credit for 2 passing AP exam scores. Their AP Acceptance policies can almost always be found on the university's website and they'll list the classes and what credit a certain score on a certain AP exam receives.

That being said, even if he's interested in science, the writing skills that you develop in AP English classes are invaluable. And the ability to write well is undervalued today.

I was a biology major first 2 years of college and you still have to write 2-3 page lab reports.

And I think his principal was being a little dramatic. With a ranking that high, his grades are likely good enough to get into any state school.

Once your GPA is so high it's more important about your extra curricular stuff. GPA matters more in college for competitive internships/graduate school.

If he's worried about it now he should drop it. I took 18 hours in college and worked 25-30 hours a week for one semester and part of me died. I had money and a good GPA to keep all my scholarships but it wasn't worth it.

If he has a good to very good SAT score, a good number of extracurriculars (clubs and such), with that GPA and especially class rank he should be able to get into NCSU.

(high school teacher here)

If he can tough it out, the skills he'll learn in AP English will be very useful though.

Archived