• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Fox: Keep Delhomme, he still has it

NewEnglandAFChamps

Releasing Delhomme would be a mistake. Without him, the team was 7-9 and even with the runninggame he makes a difference. Funny, the team got away from the running game against Arizona for some reason. 2 NFC Championships, Superbowl appearance and 3 playoff seasons since joining the team in 03. Not to mention he came back from Tommy Johns surgery which most guys don't even play after that, let alone football. I say, keep him. This way in the off season he won't being trying to recover from that surgery but instead, he'll be preparing with the team and himself for the upcoming season. Don't give me that sh*t about Matt Moore, you seen what he can do and not much IMO. Bright kid but not the answer. Still think Jake has that it that can still carry the team whether he is 34 or whatever. Look at John Elway, Brett Favre, or Kurt Warner. Jake is still young and just needs another off season to make it right. Hell, the team wen 12-5 with him back. But I guarantee that you will not find anyone to replace him in the draft or FA with the same leadership or "IT" intangibles Jake has. To me, Ken Lucas would be the one that leaves. But you let Jake go, and Carolina will suffer for years to come. Don't blame that game solely on him, think about what he had to deal with in the off season and everything else first. Look at how Kurt struggled and look at him now, think about it. Cutting Jake would be Carolina suicide. Just continue to build the team up thats all, and you'll be fine.

I agree. Some of these people are idiots. "Cut Jake!" But everyone they said to replace him with isn't half the QB Jake is. But I have learned over my many years on this Earth, that there are idiots everywhere you go.

Releasing Delhomme would be a mistake. Without him, the team was 7-9 and even with the runninggame he makes a difference. Funny, the team got away from the running game against Arizona for some reason. 2 NFC Championships, Superbowl appearance and 3 playoff seasons since joining the team in 03. Not to mention he came back from Tommy Johns surgery which most guys don't even play after that, let alone football. I say, keep him. This way in the off season he won't being trying to recover from that surgery but instead, he'll be preparing with the team and himself for the upcoming season. Don't give me that sh*t about Matt Moore, you seen what he can do and not much IMO. Bright kid but not the answer. Still think Jake has that it that can still carry the team whether he is 34 or whatever. Look at John Elway, Brett Favre, or Kurt Warner. Jake is still young and just needs another off season to make it right. Hell, the team wen 12-5 with him back. But I guarantee that you will not find anyone to replace him in the draft or FA with the same leadership or "IT" intangibles Jake has. To me, Ken Lucas would be the one that leaves. But you let Jake go, and Carolina will suffer for years to come. Don't blame that game solely on him, think about what he had to deal with in the off season and everything else first. Look at how Kurt struggled and look at him now, think about it. Cutting Jake would be Carolina suicide. Just continue to build the team up thats all, and you'll be fine.

He's right... we really dont have many other options if we want to attempt to compete...

Cutting Jake would be Carolina suicide.

And keeping Jake is just slow death. Jake sucks and its time to start holding him accountable for that. When DeShaun started putting the ball on the ground, fans wanted him gone. When Ken Lucas started getting burnt like toast people started yelling for him to go. So why does Jake simply because he's a QB get a pass on his shitty play? Either today or in the future there will be a QB to replace Jake so this "the franchise is doomed forever if Jake isnt the QB" mess is GARBAGE. Im not kissing nobodys ass on the Panthers that doesnt perform well just because of the position they play. WE NEED A NEW QB!!!

Good point! Seriously though, he is mostly right. The only problem to me is the 11 mil he gets, needs to be restructured. After the last game, we may get him at a bargin.

He's only making $6.3 million next year, not $11 million. That's his cap hit from the signing bonus he got when they resigned him.

And keeping Jake is just slow death. Jake sucks and its time to start holding him accountable for that. When DeShaun started putting the ball on the ground, fans wanted him gone. When Ken Lucas started getting burnt like toast people started yelling for him to go. So why does Jake simply because he's a QB get a pass on his sh*tty play? Either today or in the future there will be a QB to replace Jake so this "the franchise is doomed forever if Jake isnt the QB" mess is GARBAGE. Im not kissing nobodys ass on the Panthers that doesnt perform well just because of the position they play. WE NEED A NEW QB!!!

I don't think anyone thinks Delhomme is unbelievable and he is irreplaceable. But the problem is that there isn't really an easy fix at the QB position, unless you draft a stud like a Matt Ryan. But, that isn't going to happen with this team, we're the type of team that gets our star QB from a cheap FA pick-up or a late round draft pick. QB is an extremely complex position and it isn't like RB where all it takes is an athletically gifted guy to have success. Like others have stated, Delhomme is the best option right now, going after a first round QB or a high price FA just isn't worth breaking the bank on and taking the risk, seeing where we are as a team.

for what we ask a QB to do he should do a better job.we run the ball so much we only want the QB to throw 20 to 30 times a game you should not throw 4 or 5 picks like that

You can't judge a guy off 3-4 games, if that were the case, Keary Colbert would still be a Panther and he would be our legitimate number 2 guy. While you can't ignore the fact that Delhomme has had some truely horrific performances, when the guy is on, he's pretty damn good, and he can be extremely clutch.

You can't judge a guy off 3-4 games, if that were the case, Keary Colbert would still be a Panther and he would be our legitimate number 2 guy. While you can't ignore the fact that Delhomme has had some truely horrific performances, when the guy is on, he's pretty damn good, and he can be extremely clutch.

i am not judgeing off 3-4 games a lot of jakes throws sail on him every game they are just not picked off. that and we have other play makers in the waiting if jake spreads the ball....jarret , barnidge,rosiaro,

for what we ask a QB to do he should do a better job.we run the ball so much we only want the QB to throw 20 to 30 times a game you should not throw 4 or 5 picks like that

And that brings up an "iffy" question. Is it better to keep Delhomme and try to make it to the big game in the next few years? As was speculated in another thread, we won't be able to keep the Williams/Stewart tandem for ever, and I really don't know how long Smith will stay if we don't get there soon.

Or, do we replace him with Moore or someone else. You seem to think, and I would agree from what I saw this season, that we just need someone to manage a game and make a few throws to keep the drive going.

Right now we don't need a hero. But down the road we might.

i am not judgeing off 3-4 games a lot of jakes throws sail on him every game they are just not picked off. that and we have other play makers in the waiting if jake spreads the ball....jarret , barnidge,rosiaro,

He spreads the ball around pretty good. It's just the others don't have that break away ability like Smith.

He spreads the ball around pretty good. It's just the others don't have that break away ability like Smith.

oh yeah, cause smith caught so many passes on saturday...o wait, he caught 0 in the first half.....

if delhomme stays, ill still cheer for him,unless he just gives up like he did on saturday, and my panthers, if they get rid of him.....i won't cry.

Archived