• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Hockey fan

tarheelblue89

Living in Chicago, I had to deal with all the Blackhawk sh it last year, and not being a hockey fan it was pretty damn annoying. To be honest I looked at everyone has fair-weather fans. I thought this because back in '04 when NHL locked out, no one in Chicago (well my family/friends) gave two shits, hell even before last year, no one cared.

Anyways, throughout the entire playoffs and the Cup, I kept saying I hated hockey, even though I was starting to enjoy it.

So before this season, my friends finally talked me into following the sport, with my gambling problem it has become really fun.

Before the season started I was looking at some stuff trying to decide who my team was going to be, I wasn't going to pick the Hawks for a lot of reasons (Won't get into them).

I narrowed it down to the Leafs and Oilers. I saw these teams as young and upcoming teams who were ready to breakout. I ultimately chose the Leafs manly because my brother gave me a Versteeg shirt once he left the Hawks.

So here I am, a newly crowned hockey fan and a Leaf fan, and it looks like I made a good choice. You can call me fair-weather if you want, cause I kinda am.

Patrick Kane is one of my favorite players in the NHL right now. I have respect for the Hawks; they have a very good team. I dislike all Canadian teams though for the simple fact they're from Canada.

Or Canadia if you ask certain people I (unfortunately) know. Why they derive Canadia from Canada, I have no clue.

Became a Canes fan about a year after the Stanley cup win. Didn't really follow it until then. Never knew anybody into it, so I stayed focused on football. Started paying attention after the SC, and now hockey is my 2nd favorite sport behind football, and the Hurricanes are RIGHT THERE with the Panthers as my favorite team (and I have much more emotional investment, at this point, with my Canes than I do my Panthers...). Welcome to the hockey fan base. Where it is actually ACCEPTABLE to be a douchebag at games and start hilarious and obscene chants, only because the security will not come throw you out (unless you are in Philly, where being a douchebag fan is actually a law that must be obeyed, and any deviation from that may be punishable by pain of death).

Patrick Kane is one of my favorite players in the NHL right now. I have respect for the Hawks; they have a very good team. I dislike all Canadian teams though for the simple fact they're from Canada.

Jonathan Toews has grown on me as well. If I weren't a Canes fan I'd either be a Kings or Blackhawks fan for sure. I have to thank Wayne's World for the Blackhawks interest. Sad, eh?

Aye, most Caps fans here are completely fair weather, as well. Most of them don't know the first damn thing about hockey either outside of the basics. I have to find someone wearing another team's jersey/shirt to have an intelligent hockey conversation at my college because chances are they know more about hockey than most people wearing Caps stuff. That comes with the territory of having a winning team, I guess.

Leafs aren't a bad team to root for. Lots of young talent, one of the smartest GMs in the league and they should have a pretty good team this year. I'm a big fan of Luke Schenn and Phil Kessel.

Lots of Blues fans around here, Also lots of Hawks fans too. Don't see many that I would consider fair-weather, I like the Blues next to the Canes and am planning on going to the Dec. 11th game in STL, First NHL game ever so it should be a good experience no matter who wins or loses.

thought you said you were a hockey fan and then you said you were cheering for the leafs...have fun with that....43 years and counting!!!

As for Canadians...take the Canadians out of the NHL and you'd have 4 teams left and they'd all suck!!!!

Archived