• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Enough blaming everyone, who is actually to blame and why

House

I wonder though if that doesn't have more to do with ruining his mind by forcing him to play with this poo-heap of an offense.

Its hard to say for me because I almost think that at this point they are just trying to protect the investment that they made in him.

I really don't buy this at all. I think Fox was looking for a spark anywhere he could. But maybe you're right... I just didn't get that feeling from his press conference.

well, the whole benching him before the game was over bit is the main thing.

To me this was just more evidence of the lack of any coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Kinda like a well the kid didn't do anything immediately so lets go to the other kid and see if he can do something. There appears to be no coaching/planning of any sort on that side of the ball.

Of course the real answer townoholds the majority of the blame is JR for allowing a lame duck coach and giving no budget to your GM for much needed additions.

Of coursehurney is taking the blame. If he ever publicly blames JR he would be out of the NFL for good.

While I agree that JR does deserve his fair share of the blame for that, I don't see that as the reason we are 1-7.

I hate to harp on it but looking at this roster and the schedule you would think that they could eek out at least 5-6 wins this year. I wasn't expecting a play-off team this year but I didn't think it would be this bad.

I still think that Fox's mentality that he couldn't win with the young guys spread to the veterans and then the whole team. I mean watch the guys like Smith, Gross, Williams, Stewart,and even Beason at the begining of the season. It was like they were already given to the fact they were going to have a shitty season.

I think the biggest problem is the inability to develope a solid QB since 2005. Or a solid passing game at all for that matter. While the team has other issues besides QB, many of those would be masked to a certain extent with solid play at the QB. Its somewhat telling that in Fox's career here in Carolina, not a single first round pick has been spent on a QB or Wide Receiver. And only two significant free agent signings were for a WR or QB (well maybe 3 if you count Moose's return). That lack of emphasis on the passing game has seriously come home to roost this year.

I think the biggest problem is the inability to develope a solid QB since 2005. Or a solid passing game at all for that matter. While the team has other issues besides QB, many of those would be masked to a certain extent with solid play at the QB. Its somewhat telling that in Fox's career here in Carolina, not a single first round pick has been spent on a QB or Wide Receiver. And only two significant free agent signings were for a WR or QB (well maybe 3 if you count Moose's return). That lack of emphasis on the passing game has seriously come home to roost this year.

That is a part of the bigger overall problem, but I don't think that is why we are SO bad.

Look at the Browns, they won today. They have a rookie QB, Massequa(?), a dude in a Hover 'round, and an OL with a LT and a bunch of Toyota Prius' as thier passing game.

Of course the real answer townoholds the majority of the blame is JR for allowing a lame duck coach and giving no budget to your GM for much needed additions.

Of coursehurney is taking the blame. If he ever publicly blames JR he would be out of the NFL for good.

You are right of course.

Kills me that pay to watch the product that is out there.

Truthfully, Richardson should just pull trigger on Fox now and be done with it.

Odds are, it will get a whole lot worse, vs. a whole lot better over the next 8 games.

I don't know about anybody else, but, I'm sick of the post-morteum blaming, it just doesn't mattter. I would just like to, for once, leave that stadium feeling like I saw 'pro' football.

While I agree that JR does deserve his fair share of the blame for that, I don't see that as the reason we are 1-7.

I hate to harp on it but looking at this roster and the schedule you would think that they could eek out at least 5-6 wins this year. I wasn't expecting a play-off team this year but I didn't think it would be this bad.

I still think that Fox's mentality that he couldn't win with the young guys spread to the veterans and then the whole team. I mean watch the guys like Smith, Gross, Williams, Stewart,and even Beason at the begining of the season. It was like they were already given to the fact they were going to have a shitty season.

I can't imagine anyone not thinking that a lame duck coach that has their roster gutted with basically no ability to add any meaningful players is going to have a positive attitude coming into the season. The only reason Fox is still here is because JR is too cheap to fire him and Fox knows it.

I'm not excusing Fox's mentality but I'll give him this much. He's holding out there better than I would have if I were in his shoes. I'd probably chewed out the owner for being cheap, berated my players for being incompetent, and told the world "I'm tired of this sh*t, I QUIT!" and retire.

I can't imagine anyone not thinking that a lame duck coach that has their roster gutted with basically no ability to add any meaningful players is going to have a positive attitude coming into the season. The only reason Fox is still here is because JR is too cheap to fire him and Fox knows it.

I'm not excusing Fox's mentality but I'll give him this much. He's holding out there better than I would have if I were in his shoes. I'd probably chewed out the owner for being cheap, berated my players for being incompetent, and told the world "I'm tired of this sh*t, I QUIT!" and retire.

I'm not saying that Fox didn't have the right to be pissed about his situation, just that his mentality at the time has lead the team to were it is at. Now, though, I think that he is regretting it because it is severely fuging up his future coaching outlook. If he could have pulled out 6-7 wins with this team then people would have called him a genius again.

However, this team fuging sucks and it is starting to make Fox look bad. Nobody wants a coach that just came from one of the worst offensive teams in history.

As to the other part of the post, Fox is playing along because he is getting paid something like $6,000,000 this year. However, because of his decisions earlier in the year, that is likely the most he will make for a long time.

I'm not saying that Fox didn't have the right to be pissed about his situation, just that his mentality at the time has lead the team to were it is at. Now, though, I think that he is regretting it because it is severely f**king up his future coaching outlook. If he could have pulled out 6-7 wins with this team then people would have called him a genius again.

However, this team f**king sucks and it is starting to make Fox look bad. Nobody wants a coach that just came from one of the worst offensive teams in history.

As to the other part of the post, Fox is playing along because he is getting paid something like $6,000,000 this year. However, because of his decisions earlier in the year, that is likely the most he will make for a long time.

A miscalculation on Fox's part to have decided to stay here rather than bolt for greener pastures (then again, IIRC, the only openings he may have had back then was Buffalo). He'll probably revert to a DC and rebuild his image that way.

I really don't feel like blaming any one person here for this clusterf*ck. There are too many factors that went against us:

1. The impending lockout and the decisions made based on that.

2. The lame duck status of the head coach.

3. Insufficient planning on the future franchise QB.

4. The failure to find compliments to Smith who is now slowing with age.

5. Gross getting hurt last season which may explain his play this season.

6. Losing Thomas Davis and forcing our best defensive player to play a different position.

7. Losing Otah indefinitely and not having the depth to compensate.

8. Losing Peppers to free agency.

9. The NFC South looking tough overall this season.

There is only one thing to make this season bearable.

Archived